CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through...
- Contributor: Copland, Aaron - Kraft, Victor
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 982 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 This electronic presentation features selected materials from the physical American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. The full collection in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress represents well over 16,600 items stemming...
- Contributor: American Colony (Jerusalem) - Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionAmerican Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 This collection illustrates the vibrant and diverse forms of popular entertainment, especially vaudeville, that thrived from 1870-1920. Included are 334 English- and Yiddish-language playscripts, 146 theater playbills and programs, 61 motion pictures,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
Collection Items: View 726 Items
CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. These narratives were collected in the...
- Contributor: Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionBronislava Nijinska Collection The collection of notable dancer, choreographer and teacher Bronislava Nijinska (1891-1972) contains a diverse variety of materials documenting dance and the arts in the twentieth century. Available here are over 200 collection...
- Contributor: Nijinska, Bronislava
- Date: 1891
Collection Items: View 210 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s 2007 marks the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's rookie season for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he stepped onto Ebbets field on April 15th, 1947, Robinson became the first African American in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionCalifornia Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties Collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell This online presentation, California Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties, comprises 35 hours of folk music recorded in 12 languages representing numerous ethnic groups and 185 musicians. It includes sound...
- Contributor: Cowell, Sidney Robertson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,253 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The Chicago Ethnic Arts Project survey was conducted in 1977 by the American Folklife Center at the request of the Illinois Arts Council to assess and document the status of ethnic art...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan ... Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - Klymasz, Shirley - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Lund, Jens - March, Richard - Mathias, Elizabeth - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Swenson, Greta E. - Dovydenas, Jonas - Fleischhauer, Carl - González, José Gamaliel - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Illinois Arts Council - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,121 Items
CollectionCoptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody With its roots in Ancient Egyptian music, Coptic Christian chant is one of the oldest liturgical genres still performed today. Drawing on the Ragheb Moftah Collection, this presentation explores some of the...
- Contributor: Moftah, Ragheb - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Tóth, Margit - Wilson, Marian Robertson
- Date: 1926
Collection Items: View 368 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Kaye, Danny - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - McDowall, Roddy - Dena Pictures, Inc - Kaye (Danny)/Fine (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920 documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage, through books, pamphlets, government documents, manuscripts, prints, photographs,...
- Date: 1850
Collection Items: View 744 Items
CollectionFinding Our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond A thematic collection exploring changing models of the universe through time, ideas of life on other words and Carl Sagan’s place in the tradition of science. It features manuscripts, rare books, celestial...
- Contributor: Sagan, Carl - Druyan, Ann - Macfarlane, Seth
Collection Items: View 349 Items
CollectionLars Schmidt Collection Swedish theatrical producer, director, and publisher Lars Schmidt (1917-2009) spent over 50 years in the theater business. He began as a licensee of American plays and owner of a theater boat in...
- Contributor: Schmidt, Lars
- Date: 1910
Collection Items: View 269 Items
CollectionLeonard Bernstein About the Leonard Bernstein Collection The Leonard Bernstein Collection at the Library of Congress is as exceptional as its name would suggest. Bernstein, arguably the most prominent figure in American classical music...
- Contributor: Bernstein, Leonard - Coates, Helen - Gottlieb, Jack - Harmon, Charlie
- Date: 1900
Collection Items: View 3,829 Items
CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing." –...
- Date: 1581
Collection Items: View 98,999 Items
CollectionMartha Graham at the Library of Congress (clockwise from top left) The Dance: Washington Festival [review]; "Graham Presents Copland's Ballet" [clipping] by Oscar Thompson; A unique dance by Martha Graham [clipping], 1926; [Tangara], photograph of Martha Graham. Dancer, choreographer,...
- Contributor: Graham, Martha - Barber, Samuel - Copland, Aaron - Dello Joio, Norman - El-Dabh, Halim - Emmons, Beverly - Hindemith, Paul - Horst, Louis - Hovhaness, Alan - Karan, Donna ... Graham, Martha - Barber, Samuel - Copland, Aaron - Dello Joio, Norman - El-Dabh, Halim - Emmons, Beverly - Hindemith, Paul - Horst, Louis - Hovhaness, Alan - Karan, Donna - Lester, Eugene - Menotti, Gian Carlo - Noguchi, Isamu - Riegger, Wallingford - Rosenthal, Jean - Schuman, William - Skelton, Thomas R. - Starer, Robert - Ter-Arutunian, Rouben - Tipton, Jennifer - Weissberger, L. Arnold - Martha Graham Dance Company - Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance - Martha Graham School of Contemporary Dance - Graham (Martha) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 1,140 Items
CollectionMontana Folklife Survey Collection The Montana Folklife Survey was conducted in the summer of 1979 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress, in cooperation with the Montana Arts Council. The survey was a...
- Contributor: Crummett, Michael - Fleischhauer, Carl - Johnson, Paula J. - McBride, Tom - Stanton, Gary Ward - Toelken, Barre - Toelken, Miiko - Young, Kay - Wasson, George - Dockstader, Ray - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Montana Arts Council
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 607 Items
CollectionOccupational Folklife Project The Occupational Folklife Project (OFP) began in 2010 as a multi-year project by the American Folklife Center (AFC) to document the culture of contemporary American workers during an era of economic and...
- Contributor: Dodd, Harold L. - Jasper, Pat - Lindahl, Carl - Peterson, Betsy - Potoczniak, Anthony - Aalund, Niels Anders - Bennett, Steven R. - Bludworth, Richard W. - Blume, Dana - Braun, Leo J. ... Dodd, Harold L. - Jasper, Pat - Lindahl, Carl - Peterson, Betsy - Potoczniak, Anthony - Aalund, Niels Anders - Bennett, Steven R. - Bludworth, Richard W. - Blume, Dana - Braun, Leo J. - Burkett, Joe L. - Cooney, James Patrick - Corgey, Dean - Dickens, Michael W. - Diehl, William J. - Fitzgerald, Clyde - Gage, Charles H. - Glass, Leonard - Glass, Matthew H. - Halbert, David Maurice - Harris, Eugene - Harris, Timothy C. - Hausinger, William - Hennessey, William S. - Henry, Mark - Hensley, James J. - Hilliard, Henry - Hilliard, Townsend W. - Holland, Benny - Keenan, Gordie - Kersey, Bobby C. - King, Charles H. - Larrimer, George - Laws, Andrew L. - Lebert, Lindberg A. - Lightsey, Thomas N. - Martinez, Gilbert - Mayville, Donnie D. - Mims, Doug - Montgomery, Charles R. - Morrell, David C. - Olsen, Eric Carl - Patton, William Benjamin - Patout, Rivers - Paysse, Charlie Lou - Postel, Adolph C. - Quesada, José Angel - Ramirez, Gilda - Robb, Alan A. - Rousser, C. A. - Seeba, Patrick - Shaffer, Harold L. - Tellepsen, Tom - Thibodeaux, Terry James - Thompson, Robert L. - Tray, James Thomas - Usher, Michael Gene - Vest, Lou C. - Occupational Folklife Project - American Folklife Center - Houston Arts Alliance
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 186 Items
CollectionOmaha Indian Music Presented here are selections from the American Folklife Center's collections documenting Omaha music traditions. The sound recordings include 44 wax cylinder recordings made in the 1890s (first published on a 1985 LP...
- Contributor: American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 873 Items
CollectionPrairie Settlement: Nebraska Photographs and Family Letters, 1862-1912 This digital collection integrates two collections from the holdings of the Nebraska State Historical Society, the Solomon D. Butcher photographs and the letters of the Uriah W. Oblinger family. Together they illustrate...
- Contributor: Butcher, Solomon D. (Solomon Devore) - Nebraska State Historical Society - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 3,565 Items
CollectionProsperity and Thrift: The Coolidge Era and the Consumer Economy, 1921-1929 Prosperity and Thrift: The Coolidge Era and the Consumer Economy, 1921-1929, assembles a broad array of Library of Congress source materials documenting the prosperity of the Coolidge years, the nation's transition to...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 488 Items
CollectionRhode Island Folklife Project Collection The Rhode Island Folklife Project collection resulted from a field survey project of the American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, conducted in cooperation with the Rhode Island Heritage Commission, the Rhode Island...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bell, Michael Edward - Burns, Thomas A. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Goldstein, Kenneth S. - Horenstein, Henry - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Harley, Nancy - Glawson, Francis - Rhode Island Folklife Project - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 979 Items
CollectionThe Roger Reynolds Collection Roger Reynolds' compositions incorporate elements of theater, digital signal processing, dance, video, and real-time computer spatialization, in a signature multidimensionality of engagement. This Web site provides a glimpse into the process of...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Roger - Daniel, Oliver - Druckman, Jacob - Eaton, John - Gaburo, Kenneth - Ichiyanagi, Toshi - Kraft, William - Lockwood, Lewis - Luening, Otto - Subotnick, Morton - Tilbury, John - Zukofsky, Paul
- Date: 1964
Collection Items: View 53 Items
CollectionRoman Totenberg Papers The violinist Roman Totenberg enjoyed an extraordinarily long and varied career. Born on January 1, 1911 in Łódź, Poland, he moved as a child with his family to Moscow where he first...
- Contributor: Totenberg, Roman - Kolsky, Ilka
- Date: 1846
Collection Items: View 125 Items
CollectionRoman Totenberg Papers: Totenberg-Wilk Holocaust Material When Violinist Roman Totenberg immigrated to the United States in 1938, antisemitism in Europe was not restricted solely to Nazi Germany, but had spread across the continent and was pervasive in his...
Collection Items: View 110 Items
CollectionRosa Parks Papers The papers of Rosa Parks (1913-2005) span the years 1866-2006, with the bulk of the material dating from 1955 to 2000. The collection, which contains approximately 7,500 items in the Manuscript Division,...
- Contributor: Parks, Rosa - Williams, Aubrey Willis
Collection Items: View 2,455 Items
CollectionSouth Central Georgia Folklife Project Collection The South-Central Georgia Folklife Project collection resulted from an ethnographic field project conducted in the summer of 1977 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress and the Arts Experiment...
- Contributor: Adler, Thomas A. - Blackmarr, Syd - Coelho, Dennis - Fleischhauer, Carl - Jabbour, Alan - Lightfoot, William E. (William Edwin) - Marshall, Howard W. - Robinson, Beverly J. - Stanley, David - Hamrick, Raymond C. - McGraw, Hugh - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center - Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 1,123 Items
CollectionSouthern Mosaic: The John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip This recording trip is an ethnographic field collection that includes nearly 700 sound recordings, as well as fieldnotes, dust jackets, and other manuscripts documenting a three-month, 6,502-mile trip through the southern United...
- Contributor: Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill) - Archive of American Folk Song
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 895 Items