CollectionAlan Lomax Collection The Alan Lomax Collection includes ethnographic field documentation, materials from Lomax’s various projects, and cross-cultural research created and collected by Alan Lomax and others on traditional song, music, dance, and body movement...
- Contributor: Lomax, Alan - Archive of American Folk Song - American Folklife Center - Association for Cultural Equity
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 6,605 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 This collection of life histories consists of approximately 2,900 documents, compiled and transcribed by more than 300 writers from 24 states, working on the Folklore Project of the Federal Writers’ Project, a...
- Contributor: United States. Work Projects Administration - United States. Works Progress Administration - Federal Writers' Project - Writers' Program (U.S.)
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionCalifornia Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties Collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell This online presentation, California Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties, comprises 35 hours of folk music recorded in 12 languages representing numerous ethnic groups and 185 musicians. It includes sound...
- Contributor: Cowell, Sidney Robertson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,253 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The Chicago Ethnic Arts Project survey was conducted in 1977 by the American Folklife Center at the request of the Illinois Arts Council to assess and document the status of ethnic art...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan ... Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - Klymasz, Shirley - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Lund, Jens - March, Richard - Mathias, Elizabeth - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Swenson, Greta E. - Dovydenas, Jonas - Fleischhauer, Carl - González, José Gamaliel - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Illinois Arts Council - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,121 Items
CollectionFlorida Folklife from the WPA Collections, 1937-1942 Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections combines sound recordings and manuscript materials from four discrete archival collections made by Work Projects Administration (WPA) workers from the Joint Committee on Folk Arts, the...
- Contributor: Kennedy, Stetson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 494 Items
CollectionMontana Folklife Survey Collection The Montana Folklife Survey was conducted in the summer of 1979 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress, in cooperation with the Montana Arts Council. The survey was a...
- Contributor: Crummett, Michael - Fleischhauer, Carl - Johnson, Paula J. - McBride, Tom - Stanton, Gary Ward - Toelken, Barre - Toelken, Miiko - Young, Kay - Wasson, George - Dockstader, Ray - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Montana Arts Council
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 607 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Consists of approximately one hundred sound recordings, primarily blues and gospel songs, and related documentation from the folk festival at Fort Valley State College (now Fort Valley State University), Fort Valley, Georgia....
- Contributor: Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood ... Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood - Gibson, Gus - Gregory, Richard - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Johnson, Warren G. - Mathis, Allison - Monch, Matthew - Parker, Cleve - Richardson, Zema - Stripling, Sidney - Thomas, John Lee - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Turner, Oscar - Winrow, Anthony - Holloway High School Quartet - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Spiritual Four Quartet - Traveller Home Singers - Fisk University - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 182 Items
CollectionOccupational Folklife Project The Occupational Folklife Project (OFP) began in 2010 as a multi-year project by the American Folklife Center (AFC) to document the culture of contemporary American workers during an era of economic and...
- Contributor: Dodd, Harold L. - Jasper, Pat - Lindahl, Carl - Peterson, Betsy - Potoczniak, Anthony - Aalund, Niels Anders - Bennett, Steven R. - Bludworth, Richard W. - Blume, Dana - Braun, Leo J. ... Dodd, Harold L. - Jasper, Pat - Lindahl, Carl - Peterson, Betsy - Potoczniak, Anthony - Aalund, Niels Anders - Bennett, Steven R. - Bludworth, Richard W. - Blume, Dana - Braun, Leo J. - Burkett, Joe L. - Cooney, James Patrick - Corgey, Dean - Dickens, Michael W. - Diehl, William J. - Fitzgerald, Clyde - Gage, Charles H. - Glass, Leonard - Glass, Matthew H. - Halbert, David Maurice - Harris, Eugene - Harris, Timothy C. - Hausinger, William - Hennessey, William S. - Henry, Mark - Hensley, James J. - Hilliard, Henry - Hilliard, Townsend W. - Holland, Benny - Keenan, Gordie - Kersey, Bobby C. - King, Charles H. - Larrimer, George - Laws, Andrew L. - Lebert, Lindberg A. - Lightsey, Thomas N. - Martinez, Gilbert - Mayville, Donnie D. - Mims, Doug - Montgomery, Charles R. - Morrell, David C. - Olsen, Eric Carl - Patton, William Benjamin - Patout, Rivers - Paysse, Charlie Lou - Postel, Adolph C. - Quesada, José Angel - Ramirez, Gilda - Robb, Alan A. - Rousser, C. A. - Seeba, Patrick - Shaffer, Harold L. - Tellepsen, Tom - Thibodeaux, Terry James - Thompson, Robert L. - Tray, James Thomas - Usher, Michael Gene - Vest, Lou C. - Occupational Folklife Project - American Folklife Center - Houston Arts Alliance
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 186 Items
CollectionOmaha Indian Music Presented here are selections from the American Folklife Center's collections documenting Omaha music traditions. The sound recordings include 44 wax cylinder recordings made in the 1890s (first published on a 1985 LP...
- Contributor: American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 873 Items
CollectionPrairie Settlement: Nebraska Photographs and Family Letters, 1862-1912 This digital collection integrates two collections from the holdings of the Nebraska State Historical Society, the Solomon D. Butcher photographs and the letters of the Uriah W. Oblinger family. Together they illustrate...
- Contributor: Butcher, Solomon D. (Solomon Devore) - Nebraska State Historical Society - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 3,565 Items
CollectionRhode Island Folklife Project Collection The Rhode Island Folklife Project collection resulted from a field survey project of the American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, conducted in cooperation with the Rhode Island Heritage Commission, the Rhode Island...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bell, Michael Edward - Burns, Thomas A. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Goldstein, Kenneth S. - Horenstein, Henry - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Harley, Nancy - Glawson, Francis - Rhode Island Folklife Project - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 979 Items
CollectionSouth Central Georgia Folklife Project Collection The South-Central Georgia Folklife Project collection resulted from an ethnographic field project conducted in the summer of 1977 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress and the Arts Experiment...
- Contributor: Adler, Thomas A. - Blackmarr, Syd - Coelho, Dennis - Fleischhauer, Carl - Jabbour, Alan - Lightfoot, William E. (William Edwin) - Marshall, Howard W. - Robinson, Beverly J. - Stanley, David - Hamrick, Raymond C. - McGraw, Hugh - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center - Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 1,123 Items
CollectionSouthern Mosaic: The John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip This recording trip is an ethnographic field collection that includes nearly 700 sound recordings, as well as fieldnotes, dust jackets, and other manuscripts documenting a three-month, 6,502-mile trip through the southern United...
- Contributor: Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill) - Archive of American Folk Song
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 895 Items
CollectionWashington During the Civil War: The Diary of Horatio Nelson Taft, 1861-1865 This collection represents three manuscript volumes that document daily life in Washington, D.C., through the eyes of U.S. Patent Office examiner Horatio Nelson Taft (1806-1888), including Taft's connection with Abraham Lincoln and...
- Contributor: Taft, Horatio Nelson - Brady, Mathew
Collection Items: View 8 Items
CollectionWoody Guthrie and the Archive of American Folk Song: Correspondence, 1940-1950 Woody Guthrie and the Archive of American Folk Song: Correspondence, 1940-1950 highlights letters between Woody Guthrie and staff of the Archive of American Folk Song (now the American Folklife Center archive) at...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 59 Items