CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through...
- Contributor: Copland, Aaron - Kraft, Victor
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 982 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection The Alan Lomax Collection includes ethnographic field documentation, materials from Lomax’s various projects, and cross-cultural research created and collected by Alan Lomax and others on traditional song, music, dance, and body movement...
- Contributor: Lomax, Alan - Archive of American Folk Song - American Folklife Center - Association for Cultural Equity
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 6,605 Items
CollectionAmerican Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 This collection illustrates the vibrant and diverse forms of popular entertainment, especially vaudeville, that thrived from 1870-1920. Included are 334 English- and Yiddish-language playscripts, 146 theater playbills and programs, 61 motion pictures,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
Collection Items: View 726 Items
CollectionBronislava Nijinska Collection The collection of notable dancer, choreographer and teacher Bronislava Nijinska (1891-1972) contains a diverse variety of materials documenting dance and the arts in the twentieth century. Available here are over 200 collection...
- Contributor: Nijinska, Bronislava
- Date: 1891
Collection Items: View 210 Items
CollectionCalifornia Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties Collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell This online presentation, California Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties, comprises 35 hours of folk music recorded in 12 languages representing numerous ethnic groups and 185 musicians. It includes sound...
- Contributor: Cowell, Sidney Robertson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,253 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The Chicago Ethnic Arts Project survey was conducted in 1977 by the American Folklife Center at the request of the Illinois Arts Council to assess and document the status of ethnic art...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan ... Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - Klymasz, Shirley - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Lund, Jens - March, Richard - Mathias, Elizabeth - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Swenson, Greta E. - Dovydenas, Jonas - Fleischhauer, Carl - González, José Gamaliel - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Illinois Arts Council - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,121 Items
CollectionCoptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody With its roots in Ancient Egyptian music, Coptic Christian chant is one of the oldest liturgical genres still performed today. Drawing on the Ragheb Moftah Collection, this presentation explores some of the...
- Contributor: Moftah, Ragheb - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Tóth, Margit - Wilson, Marian Robertson
- Date: 1926
Collection Items: View 368 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Kaye, Danny - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - McDowall, Roddy - Dena Pictures, Inc - Kaye (Danny)/Fine (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionFederal Theatre Project, 1935 to 1939 This online presentation includes items selected from the Federal Theatre Project Collection at the Library of Congress. Featured here are stage and costume designs, photographs, posters, playbills, programs, and playscripts, including productions...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 6,586 Items
CollectionFelix Mendelssohn at the Library of Congress Made available here are digital images of selected resources on this composer. This collection was created to mark the bicentennial of the birth of composer Felix Mendelssohn on February 3, 2009. The...
- Date: 1820
Collection Items: View 28 Items
CollectionFlorida Folklife from the WPA Collections, 1937-1942 Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections combines sound recordings and manuscript materials from four discrete archival collections made by Work Projects Administration (WPA) workers from the Joint Committee on Folk Arts, the...
- Contributor: Kennedy, Stetson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 494 Items
CollectionLars Schmidt Collection Swedish theatrical producer, director, and publisher Lars Schmidt (1917-2009) spent over 50 years in the theater business. He began as a licensee of American plays and owner of a theater boat in...
- Contributor: Schmidt, Lars
- Date: 1910
Collection Items: View 269 Items
CollectionLeonard Bernstein About the Leonard Bernstein Collection The Leonard Bernstein Collection at the Library of Congress is as exceptional as its name would suggest. Bernstein, arguably the most prominent figure in American classical music...
- Contributor: Bernstein, Leonard - Coates, Helen - Gottlieb, Jack - Harmon, Charlie
- Date: 1900
Collection Items: View 3,829 Items
CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing." –...
- Date: 1581
Collection Items: View 98,999 Items
CollectionThe March King: John Philip Sousa Painting of Sousa during US Marine Band era, [n.d.]. Performing Arts Reading Room. An online presentation of selected music manuscripts, photographs, printed music, historical recordings of the Sousa Band, copies of programs...
- Contributor: Sousa, John Philip
- Date: 1854
Collection Items: View 713 Items
CollectionMartha Graham at the Library of Congress (clockwise from top left) The Dance: Washington Festival [review]; "Graham Presents Copland's Ballet" [clipping] by Oscar Thompson; A unique dance by Martha Graham [clipping], 1926; [Tangara], photograph of Martha Graham. Dancer, choreographer,...
- Contributor: Graham, Martha - Barber, Samuel - Copland, Aaron - Dello Joio, Norman - El-Dabh, Halim - Emmons, Beverly - Hindemith, Paul - Horst, Louis - Hovhaness, Alan - Karan, Donna ... Graham, Martha - Barber, Samuel - Copland, Aaron - Dello Joio, Norman - El-Dabh, Halim - Emmons, Beverly - Hindemith, Paul - Horst, Louis - Hovhaness, Alan - Karan, Donna - Lester, Eugene - Menotti, Gian Carlo - Noguchi, Isamu - Riegger, Wallingford - Rosenthal, Jean - Schuman, William - Skelton, Thomas R. - Starer, Robert - Ter-Arutunian, Rouben - Tipton, Jennifer - Weissberger, L. Arnold - Martha Graham Dance Company - Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance - Martha Graham School of Contemporary Dance - Graham (Martha) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 1,140 Items
CollectionThe Moldenhauer Archives - The Rosaleen Moldenhauer Memorial The Moldenhauer Archives at the Library of Congress contain approximately 3,500 items documenting the history of Western music from the medieval period through the modern era and is the richest composite gift...
- Contributor: Moldenhauer, Hans
- Date: 1000
Collection Items: View 205 Items
CollectionMontana Folklife Survey Collection The Montana Folklife Survey was conducted in the summer of 1979 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress, in cooperation with the Montana Arts Council. The survey was a...
- Contributor: Crummett, Michael - Fleischhauer, Carl - Johnson, Paula J. - McBride, Tom - Stanton, Gary Ward - Toelken, Barre - Toelken, Miiko - Young, Kay - Wasson, George - Dockstader, Ray - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Montana Arts Council
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 607 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Consists of approximately one hundred sound recordings, primarily blues and gospel songs, and related documentation from the folk festival at Fort Valley State College (now Fort Valley State University), Fort Valley, Georgia....
- Contributor: Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood ... Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood - Gibson, Gus - Gregory, Richard - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Johnson, Warren G. - Mathis, Allison - Monch, Matthew - Parker, Cleve - Richardson, Zema - Stripling, Sidney - Thomas, John Lee - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Turner, Oscar - Winrow, Anthony - Holloway High School Quartet - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Spiritual Four Quartet - Traveller Home Singers - Fisk University - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 182 Items
CollectionOmaha Indian Music Presented here are selections from the American Folklife Center's collections documenting Omaha music traditions. The sound recordings include 44 wax cylinder recordings made in the 1890s (first published on a 1985 LP...
- Contributor: American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 873 Items
CollectionRhode Island Folklife Project Collection The Rhode Island Folklife Project collection resulted from a field survey project of the American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, conducted in cooperation with the Rhode Island Heritage Commission, the Rhode Island...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bell, Michael Edward - Burns, Thomas A. - Fleischhauer, Carl - Goldstein, Kenneth S. - Horenstein, Henry - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Harley, Nancy - Glawson, Francis - Rhode Island Folklife Project - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 979 Items
CollectionThe Roger Reynolds Collection Roger Reynolds' compositions incorporate elements of theater, digital signal processing, dance, video, and real-time computer spatialization, in a signature multidimensionality of engagement. This Web site provides a glimpse into the process of...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Roger - Daniel, Oliver - Druckman, Jacob - Eaton, John - Gaburo, Kenneth - Ichiyanagi, Toshi - Kraft, William - Lockwood, Lewis - Luening, Otto - Subotnick, Morton - Tilbury, John - Zukofsky, Paul
- Date: 1964
Collection Items: View 53 Items
CollectionRoman Totenberg Papers The violinist Roman Totenberg enjoyed an extraordinarily long and varied career. Born on January 1, 1911 in Łódź, Poland, he moved as a child with his family to Moscow where he first...
- Contributor: Totenberg, Roman - Kolsky, Ilka
- Date: 1846
Collection Items: View 125 Items
CollectionRoman Totenberg Papers: Totenberg-Wilk Holocaust Material When Violinist Roman Totenberg immigrated to the United States in 1938, antisemitism in Europe was not restricted solely to Nazi Germany, but had spread across the continent and was pervasive in his...
Collection Items: View 110 Items
CollectionSouth Central Georgia Folklife Project Collection The South-Central Georgia Folklife Project collection resulted from an ethnographic field project conducted in the summer of 1977 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress and the Arts Experiment...
- Contributor: Adler, Thomas A. - Blackmarr, Syd - Coelho, Dennis - Fleischhauer, Carl - Jabbour, Alan - Lightfoot, William E. (William Edwin) - Marshall, Howard W. - Robinson, Beverly J. - Stanley, David - Hamrick, Raymond C. - McGraw, Hugh - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - American Folklife Center - Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 1,123 Items
CollectionSouthern Mosaic: The John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip This recording trip is an ethnographic field collection that includes nearly 700 sound recordings, as well as fieldnotes, dust jackets, and other manuscripts documenting a three-month, 6,502-mile trip through the southern United...
- Contributor: Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill) - Archive of American Folk Song
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 895 Items
CollectionWoody Guthrie and the Archive of American Folk Song: Correspondence, 1940-1950 Woody Guthrie and the Archive of American Folk Song: Correspondence, 1940-1950 highlights letters between Woody Guthrie and staff of the Archive of American Folk Song (now the American Folklife Center archive) at...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 59 Items