CollectionGeorge Washington Papers The papers of army officer and first U.S. president George Washington (1732-1799) held in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress constitute the largest collection of original Washington papers in the...
- Contributor: Washington, George
Collection Items: View 35,442 Items
CollectionGideon Welles Papers The papers of Gideon Welles (1802-1878), newspaper editor and U.S. secretary of the navy under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson, consist of 15,070 items (26,302 images), most of which were digitized...
- Contributor: Welles, Gideon - Learned, Henry Barrett - Welles, Edgar Thaddeus
Collection Items: View 364 Items
CollectionHannah Arendt Papers The papers of the author, educator, and political philosopher Hannah Arendt (1906-1975) are one of the principal sources for the study of modern intellectual life. Located in the Manuscript Division at the...
- Contributor: Arendt, Hannah - Blücher, Heinrich
Collection Items: View 25,001 Items
CollectionJames Buchanan and Harriet Lane Johnston Papers The papers of James Buchanan (1791-1868), representative and senator of Pennsylvania, secretary of state, and fifteenth president of the United States, and those of his niece and White House hostess Harriet Lane...
- Contributor: Buchanan, James - Johnston, Harriet Lane
Collection Items: View 65 Items
CollectionJames K. Polk Papers The papers of James K. Polk (1795-1849), governor of Tennessee, representative from Tennessee, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and eleventh president of the United States, contain approximately 20,500 items dating from...
- Contributor: Polk, James K. (James Knox) - Polk, Sarah Childress
Collection Items: View 230 Items
CollectionJames Madison Papers, 1723-1859 James Madison (1751-1836) is one of 23 presidents whose papers are held in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The Madison Papers consist of approximately 12,000 items, spanning the period...
- Contributor: Madison, James
Collection Items: View 12,016 Items
CollectionJedediah Hotchkiss Papers The papers of educator, Confederate cartographer and topographical engineer Jedediah Hotchkiss (1828-1899) span the years 1835-1908, with the bulk of the material dating from 1875 to 1898. They consist of approximately 20,000...
- Contributor: Hotchkiss, Jedediah - Hotchkiss, Sara Anne Comfort - Rogers, William Barton
Collection Items: View 662 Items
CollectionJohn J. Pershing Papers The diaries, notebooks, and address books of John Joseph Pershing (1860-1948), U.S. army officer and commander-in-chief of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I, are part of a larger collection of...
- Contributor: Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Pershing, Helen F. (Helen Frances)
Collection Items: View 91 Items
CollectionLars Schmidt Collection Swedish theatrical producer, director, and publisher Lars Schmidt (1917-2009) spent over 50 years in the theater business. He began as a licensee of American plays and owner of a theater boat in...
- Contributor: Schmidt, Lars
- Date: 1910
Collection Items: View 269 Items
CollectionLeonard Bernstein About the Leonard Bernstein Collection The Leonard Bernstein Collection at the Library of Congress is as exceptional as its name would suggest. Bernstein, arguably the most prominent figure in American classical music...
- Contributor: Bernstein, Leonard - Coates, Helen - Gottlieb, Jack - Harmon, Charlie
- Date: 1900
Collection Items: View 3,829 Items
CollectionLewis H. Machen Family Papers The Gresham family material in the Lewis H. Machen Family Papers consists of seven diaries kept by Georgia teenager LeRoy Wiley Gresham (1847-1865) during the Civil War, and approximately 550 items of...
- Contributor: Machen, Lewis H. (Lewis Henry) - Gresham, Leroy Wiley - Machen, Arthur Webster - Machen, Caroline Webster - Machen, Emmeline - Machen, James P. - Machen, Minnie Gresham
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing." –...
- Date: 1581
Collection Items: View 98,999 Items
CollectionManuscripts from the Monasteries of Mt. Athos The twenty monasteries which comprise the historic and legendary yet largely inaccessible monastic complex on Mt. Athos in Greece house a rich collection of over 11,000 manuscripts. In 1952 and 1953, the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress
- Date: 1952
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionManuscripts in St. Catherine's Monastery, Mount Sinai The renowned Eastern Orthodox Monastery of St. Catherine’s on Mt. Sinai was constructed by the Byzantine Emperor, Justinian I, in the late sixth century AD over the relics of the martyred saint...
- Contributor: Saint Catherine (Monastery : Mount Sinai) - Clark, Kenneth Willis
- Date: 1950
Collection Items: View 1,694 Items
CollectionManuscripts in the Libraries of the Greek and Armenian Patriarchates in Jerusalem As Jerusalem, the location of Christ’s Passion, has been central to the Christian religion since its inception, all the early churches sought a presence in that storied and holy city. The Greek...
- Contributor: Stone, Michael E.
- Date: 1969
Collection Items: View 1,009 Items
CollectionThe March King: John Philip Sousa Painting of Sousa during US Marine Band era, [n.d.]. Performing Arts Reading Room. An online presentation of selected music manuscripts, photographs, printed music, historical recordings of the Sousa Band, copies of programs...
- Contributor: Sousa, John Philip
- Date: 1854
Collection Items: View 713 Items
CollectionMargaret Bayard Smith Papers The papers of Margaret Bayard Smith (1778-1844), author and leader in Washington, D.C., social and political circles during the first decades of the nineteenth century, span the years 1789-1874, with the bulk...
- Contributor: Smith, Margaret Bayard
Collection Items: View 96 Items
CollectionMartha Graham at the Library of Congress (clockwise from top left) The Dance: Washington Festival [review]; "Graham Presents Copland's Ballet" [clipping] by Oscar Thompson; A unique dance by Martha Graham [clipping], 1926; [Tangara], photograph of Martha Graham. Dancer, choreographer,...
- Contributor: Graham, Martha - Barber, Samuel - Copland, Aaron - Dello Joio, Norman - El-Dabh, Halim - Emmons, Beverly - Hindemith, Paul - Horst, Louis - Hovhaness, Alan - Karan, Donna ... Graham, Martha - Barber, Samuel - Copland, Aaron - Dello Joio, Norman - El-Dabh, Halim - Emmons, Beverly - Hindemith, Paul - Horst, Louis - Hovhaness, Alan - Karan, Donna - Lester, Eugene - Menotti, Gian Carlo - Noguchi, Isamu - Riegger, Wallingford - Rosenthal, Jean - Schuman, William - Skelton, Thomas R. - Starer, Robert - Ter-Arutunian, Rouben - Tipton, Jennifer - Weissberger, L. Arnold - Martha Graham Dance Company - Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance - Martha Graham School of Contemporary Dance - Graham (Martha) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 1,140 Items
CollectionMartin Van Buren Papers, 1787 to 1910 The Martin Van Buren Papers, one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Library of Congress Manuscript Division, contains more than 6,000 items dating from 1787 to circa 1910. The bulk of the...
- Contributor: Van Buren, Martin - Van Buren, John
Collection Items: View 213 Items
CollectionMary Ann Bickerdyke Papers The papers of Mary Ann Ball Bickerdyke (1817-1901), a Civil War nurse and agent for the United States Sanitary Commission who was known as "Mother Bickerdyke" to Union soldiers, consist of 1,800...
- Contributor: Bickerdyke, Mary Ann
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionMary Church Terrell Papers The papers of educator, lecturer, suffragist, and civil rights activist Mary Church Terrell (1863-1954) consist of approximately 13,000 documents, comprising 25,323 images, all of which were digitized from 34 reels of previously...
- Contributor: Terrell, Mary Church
Collection Items: View 767 Items
CollectionMillard Fillmore Papers The papers of Millard Fillmore (1800-1874), educator, U.S. representative from New York, vice president, and thirteenth president of the United States, contain approximately thirty-five items spanning the years 1839-1925, with the bulk...
- Contributor: Fillmore, Millard
Collection Items: View 20 Items
CollectionThe Moldenhauer Archives - The Rosaleen Moldenhauer Memorial The Moldenhauer Archives at the Library of Congress contain approximately 3,500 items documenting the history of Western music from the medieval period through the modern era and is the richest composite gift...
- Contributor: Moldenhauer, Hans
- Date: 1000
Collection Items: View 205 Items
CollectionMontana Folklife Survey Collection The Montana Folklife Survey was conducted in the summer of 1979 by the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress, in cooperation with the Montana Arts Council. The survey was a...
- Contributor: Crummett, Michael - Fleischhauer, Carl - Johnson, Paula J. - McBride, Tom - Stanton, Gary Ward - Toelken, Barre - Toelken, Miiko - Young, Kay - Wasson, George - Dockstader, Ray - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Montana Arts Council
- Date: 1979
Collection Items: View 607 Items
CollectionNathan W. Daniels Diary and Scrapbook The papers of Union army officer and Freedmen’s Bureau advocate Nathan W. Daniels (1836-1867), spanning the years 1861-1867, consist of three volumes of a handwritten diary with photographs, illustrations, and newspaper clippings...
- Contributor: Daniels, Nathan W. - Richmond, Cora L. V. (Cora Linn Victoria)
Collection Items: View 11 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Consists of approximately one hundred sound recordings, primarily blues and gospel songs, and related documentation from the folk festival at Fort Valley State College (now Fort Valley State University), Fort Valley, Georgia....
- Contributor: Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood ... Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Bond, Edward - Bond, James - Chastain, Will - Chestain, Sonny - Ellis, Charles - Ezell, Buster - Ford, Osa - Ford, T. J. - Gaines, Elwood - Gibson, Gus - Gregory, Richard - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Johnson, Warren G. - Mathis, Allison - Monch, Matthew - Parker, Cleve - Richardson, Zema - Stripling, Sidney - Thomas, John Lee - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Turner, Oscar - Winrow, Anthony - Holloway High School Quartet - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Spiritual Four Quartet - Traveller Home Singers - Fisk University - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 182 Items
CollectionOccupational Folklife Project The Occupational Folklife Project (OFP) began in 2010 as a multi-year project by the American Folklife Center (AFC) to document the culture of contemporary American workers during an era of economic and...
- Contributor: Dodd, Harold L. - Jasper, Pat - Lindahl, Carl - Peterson, Betsy - Potoczniak, Anthony - Aalund, Niels Anders - Bennett, Steven R. - Bludworth, Richard W. - Blume, Dana - Braun, Leo J. ... Dodd, Harold L. - Jasper, Pat - Lindahl, Carl - Peterson, Betsy - Potoczniak, Anthony - Aalund, Niels Anders - Bennett, Steven R. - Bludworth, Richard W. - Blume, Dana - Braun, Leo J. - Burkett, Joe L. - Cooney, James Patrick - Corgey, Dean - Dickens, Michael W. - Diehl, William J. - Fitzgerald, Clyde - Gage, Charles H. - Glass, Leonard - Glass, Matthew H. - Halbert, David Maurice - Harris, Eugene - Harris, Timothy C. - Hausinger, William - Hennessey, William S. - Henry, Mark - Hensley, James J. - Hilliard, Henry - Hilliard, Townsend W. - Holland, Benny - Keenan, Gordie - Kersey, Bobby C. - King, Charles H. - Larrimer, George - Laws, Andrew L. - Lebert, Lindberg A. - Lightsey, Thomas N. - Martinez, Gilbert - Mayville, Donnie D. - Mims, Doug - Montgomery, Charles R. - Morrell, David C. - Olsen, Eric Carl - Patton, William Benjamin - Patout, Rivers - Paysse, Charlie Lou - Postel, Adolph C. - Quesada, José Angel - Ramirez, Gilda - Robb, Alan A. - Rousser, C. A. - Seeba, Patrick - Shaffer, Harold L. - Tellepsen, Tom - Thibodeaux, Terry James - Thompson, Robert L. - Tray, James Thomas - Usher, Michael Gene - Vest, Lou C. - Occupational Folklife Project - American Folklife Center - Houston Arts Alliance
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 186 Items
CollectionOmaha Indian Music Presented here are selections from the American Folklife Center's collections documenting Omaha music traditions. The sound recordings include 44 wax cylinder recordings made in the 1890s (first published on a 1985 LP...
- Contributor: American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 873 Items
CollectionOmar Ibn Said Collection The Omar Ibn Said Collection consists of 42 digitized documents in both English and Arabic, including an 1831 manuscript in Arabic on "The Life of Omar Ibn Said," a West African slave...
- Contributor: Dwight, Theodore - Said, Omar Ibn - See, Sheikh Sana - Kebe, Lamine - Dukur, Muḥammad - Bird, Isaac - Cotheal, Alexander Isaac - Thomson, William Hanna - Beard, Derrick Joshua - Rothman, Adam ... Dwight, Theodore - Said, Omar Ibn - See, Sheikh Sana - Kebe, Lamine - Dukur, Muḥammad - Bird, Isaac - Cotheal, Alexander Isaac - Thomson, William Hanna - Beard, Derrick Joshua - Rothman, Adam - American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions - American Bible Society - American Ethnological Society - Omar Ibn Said Collection (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division - Library of Congress. African and Middle Eastern Division
- Date: 1741
Collection Items: View 46 Items
CollectionPhilip Henry Sheridan Papers The papers of army officer Philip Henry Sheridan (1831-1888) span the years 1853-1896, with the bulk of the material originating between 1862 and 1887. They consist of approximately 18,000 items digitally reproduced...
- Contributor: Sheridan, Philip Henry
Collection Items: View 760 Items
CollectionPolish Declarations of Admiration and Friendship for the United States, 1926 Digitization of this collection was made possible by the Polish Library in Washington, D.C. The Polish Declarations of Admiration and Friendship for the United States are a collection of 111 volumes of...
- Contributor: American-Polish Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Poland - Polish-American Society
Collection Items: View 117 Items