CollectionAbdul Hamid II Collection This collection contains 1,819 photographs in 51 large-format albums date from about 1880 to 1893. They portray the Ottoman Empire during the reign of one of its last sultans, Abdul-Hamid II and...
- Contributor: Abdülhamid II - Abdullah Frères - Sebah & Joaillier
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,819 Items
CollectionAfrican American Photographs Assembled for 1900 Paris Exposition The Paris Exposition of 1900 (Exposition universelle internationale de 1900) devoted a building to matters of "social economy." The United States section of the building featured an exhibit that, according to W....
- Contributor: Du Bois, W. E. (William Edward Burghardt) - Calloway, Thomas J. - Daniel Murray Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 557 Items
CollectionAmerican Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 This collection illustrates the vibrant and diverse forms of popular entertainment, especially vaudeville, that thrived from 1870-1920. Included are 334 English- and Yiddish-language playscripts, 146 theater playbills and programs, 61 motion pictures,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
Collection Items: View 726 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar In 1943, Ansel Adams (1902-1984), America's most well-known photographer, documented the Manzanar War Relocation Center in California and the Japanese-Americans interned there during World War II. For the first time, digital scans...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionArchitecture, Design & Engineering Drawings The Architecture, Design, and Engineering category covers about 40,000 drawings (described in more than 3,900 catalog records), spanning 1600 to 1989, with most dating between 1880 and 1940. The designs are primarily...
- Date: 1750
Collection Items: View 1,709 Items
CollectionBain Collection The George Grantham Bain Collection represents the photographic files of one of America's earliest news picture agencies. The collection richly documents sports events, theater, celebrities, crime, strikes, disasters, political activities including the...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,446 Items
CollectionBaseball Cards The Benjamin K. Edwards Collection includes 2,100 early baseball cards dating from 1887 to 1914. Distributed in cigarette packs, these cards were the forerunners of modern sports trading cards. They portray such...
- Contributor: American Tobacco Company
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 2,093 Items
CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. These narratives were collected in the...
- Contributor: Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection In 1954 the Library of Congress purchased from Alice H. Cox and Mary H. Evans, the daughters of Levin C. Handy approximately 10,000 original, duplicate, and copy negatives. The L.C. Handy Studio...
- Contributor: Brady, Mathew - Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin)
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionBrumfield Collection William C. Brumfield, Professor of Russian Studies at Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, has extensively photographed and written about the wooden architecture of the Russian North, the jumping-off point for the explorers,...
- Contributor: Brumfield, William Craft
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,139 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s 2007 marks the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's rookie season for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he stepped onto Ebbets field on April 15th, 1947, Robinson became the first African American in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionCabinet of American Illustration Contains more than four thousand original drawings by American book, magazine, and newspaper illustrators, made primarily between 1880 and 1910. The collection includes illustrations for magazines, novels, and children's books; cartoons; cover...
- Contributor: Beard, Daniel Carter - Elliott, Elizabeth Shippen Green - Fogarty, Thomas - Frost, A. (Arthur Burdett) - Herford, Oliver - Rogers, W. A. (William Allen) - Smedley, W. T. (William Thomas) - Steele, Frederic Dorr - Wright, George Hand - Yohn, F. C. (Frederick Coffay)
- Date: 1830
Collection Items: View 3,927 Items
CollectionCarnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South Noted architectural photographer Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) created a systematic record of early American buildings and gardens called the Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South (CSAS). This collection, created primarily...
- Contributor: Johnston, Frances Benjamin - Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 6,965 Items
CollectionCarpenter Collection The more than 15,000 images in the Frank and Frances Carpenter Collection represent the extensive photographic files assembled by Frank G. Carpenter and his daughter Frances to illustrate his popular writings on...
- Contributor: Carpenter, Frank G. (Frank George) - Carpenter, Frances
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,813 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Offers more than 9,000 original drawings for editorial cartoons, caricatures, and comic strips spanning the late 1700s to the present, primarily from 1880 to 1980. The cartoons cover people and events throughout...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Conacher, John C. - Covarrubias, Miguel - Crockett, Gib - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell) - Johnson, Herbert - Kelly, Walt - Kirby, Rollin - Mahony, Felix - Mauldin, Bill - Muḥaṣṣiṣ, Ardashīr
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,865 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Herblock Collection Herbert L. Block (1909-2001), known to the world as Herblock, was one of the most influential political commentators and editorial cartoonists in American history. His long chronicle of major social and political...
- Contributor: Block, Herbert
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 9,101 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Swann Collection of Caricature and Cartoon Contains 2,085 drawings, prints, and paintings related to the art of caricature, cartoon, and illustration, spanning the years 1780 to 1977 and includes works by 521 American and foreign artists and illustrators....
- Contributor: Swann, Erwin - Caroline and Erwin Swann Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1780
Collection Items: View 772 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American This assemblage of more than 500 prints made in America during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries encompasses several forms of political art. Most of the prints are from the division's PC/US series,...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Bucholzer, H. - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Currier, Nathaniel - Magee, John L. - Maurer, Louis - Robinson, Henry R. - Currier & Ives
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 818 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, British The Prints and Photographs Division holds one of the largest collections of British political and satirical prints in America. The approximately 9,000 prints (approximately 8,500 distinct images) in the collection highlight British...
- Date: 1650
Collection Items: View 946 Items
CollectionCivil War Explore the faces, places and events of the U.S. Civil War through photographs, prints and drawings. The Prints & Photographs Division holds thousands of images relating to the Civil War, found in...
- Contributor: Barnard, George N. - Brady, Mathew - Gardner, Alexander - Gibson, James F. - O'Sullivan, Timothy H. - Smith, William Morris
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 15,527 Items
CollectionCivil War Glass Negatives and Related Prints Provides access to about 7,000 different views and portraits made during the American Civil War (1861-1865) and its immediate aftermath. The images represent the original glass plate negatives made under the supervision...
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 8,726 Items
CollectionCollege Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection More than 180 artists living and working in Japan created the 212 fine art prints in the College Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection. The prints, dating primarily from 2003 to...
- Contributor: College Women's Association of Japan
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 214 Items
CollectionCurtis (Edward S.) Collection The Curtis collection consists of more than 2,400 silver-gelatin, first generation photographic prints--some of which are sepia-toned--made from Curtis's original glass negatives. Most of the photographic prints are 5" x 7" although...
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 1,074 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes There are approximately 700 daguerreotypes in the Prints & Photographs Division. The majority of the images are portraits, but the collection does include a few early architectural views, outdoor scenes, and copies...
- Contributor: Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew - Cornelius, Robert - Washington, Augustus
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 859 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Includes over 25,000 glass negatives and transparencies as well as about 300 color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. Subjects strongly represented in the collection include city and town views,...
- Contributor: Detroit Publishing Co. - Jackson, William Henry - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood) - Hart, Edward H. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionDrawings (Master) Background and Scope: Joseph Pennell Drawings Some 4,700 drawings created by American artist, illustrator, printmaker, and writer Joseph Pennell (1857-1926) are preserved in the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division. Such...
- Date: 1500
Collection Items: View 198 Items
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement The Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920 documents the historical formation and cultural foundations of the movement to conserve and protect America's natural heritage, through books, pamphlets, government documents, manuscripts, prints, photographs,...
- Date: 1850
Collection Items: View 744 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives The photographs of the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection form an extensive pictorial record of American life between 1935 and 1944. This U.S. government photography project was...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,902 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Photographers working for the U.S. government's Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) between 1939 and 1944 made approximately 1,600 color photographs that depict life in the...
- Contributor: Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell ... Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell - Liberman, Howard - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M. - Rosskam, Louise - Rothstein, Arthur - Rous, John - Sherwood, Mark - Siegel, Arthur S. - Vachon, John - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionFenton Crimean War Photographs Roger Fenton's Crimean War photographs represent one of the earliest systematic attempts to document a war through the medium of photography. Fenton, who spent fewer than four months in the Crimea (March...
- Contributor: Fenton, Roger
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 268 Items
CollectionFine Prints: Japanese, pre-1915 The Library's Prints and Photographs Division houses more than 2,500 woodblock prints and drawings by Japanese artists of the seventeenth through early twentieth centuries including Hiroshige, Kuniyoshi, Sadahide, and Yoshiiku. The Library...
- Contributor: Andō, Hiroshige - Utagawa, Hiroshige - Utagawa, Kuniteru - Utagawa, Yoshikazu - Utagawa, Yoshitoyo - Ikkei - Ochiai, Yoshiiku - Utagawa, Yoshitora - Utagawa, Sadahide
- Date: 1615
Collection Items: View 2,661 Items
CollectionGenthe Collection Arnold Genthe (1869-1942) was an internationally recognized photographer working in the soft-focus pictorialist style. The Library of Congress acquired approximately 20,000 items from his unclaimed studio after his death. The "electronic collection"...
- Contributor: Genthe, Arnold
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 16,850 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The William A. Gladstone Collection of African American Photographs provides almost 350 images showing African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period covered,...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Ball, James Presley - Moore, Henry P. - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 330 Items
CollectionGoldstein Foundation Collection--Prints and Drawings This category consists of all of the individually issued prints and drawings in the Ben and Beatrice Goldstein Foundation Collection: 1,688 items dating primarily from the 1880s to the 1960s. The collection...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 158 Items
CollectionGottscho-Schleisner Collection The collection of more than 45,000 items (negatives, transparencies and prints) came to the Library of Congress in the early 1980s. The online collection provides access to 29,000 negatives and color transparencies....
- Contributor: Gottscho, Samuel H. (Samuel Herman) - Schleisner, William H. (William Herman) - Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 29,005 Items
CollectionGrabill Collection The one hundred and eighty-eight photographs sent by John C.H. Grabill to the Library of Congress for copyright protection between 1887 and 1892 are thought to be the largest surviving collection of...
- Contributor: Grabill, John C. H.
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 193 Items