CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress The papers of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), lawyer, representative from Illinois, and sixteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 40,550 documents dating from 1774 to 1948, although most of the collection spans...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,206 Items
CollectionAfter the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor After the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor presents approximately twelve hours of opinions recorded in the days and months following the bombing of Pearl Harbor from...
- Date: 1941
Collection Items: View 139 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana The collection contains more than 11,100 items. This online release presents over 1,300 items with a over 4,000 images and a date range of 1824-1931. It includes the complete collection of Stern's...
- Contributor: Stern, Alfred Whital - Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,541 Items
CollectionAmerican Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I The Nation's Forum recordings were made between 1918 and 1920 in an effort to preserve the voices of prominent Americans; in most cases, they are the only surviving recordings of a speaker....
- Contributor: Baker, Newton Diehl - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Clark, Champ - Colby, Bainbridge - Coolidge, Calvin - Cox, James M. (James Middleton) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Daniels, Josephus - De Valera, Éamon - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) ... Baker, Newton Diehl - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Clark, Champ - Colby, Bainbridge - Coolidge, Calvin - Cox, James M. (James Middleton) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Daniels, Josephus - De Valera, Éamon - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) - Gompers, Samuel - Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel) - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Lane, Franklin K. - Lewis, James - Lodge, Henry Cabot - Long, Breckinridge - McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs) - Owen, Robert L. (Robert Latham) - Palmer, A. Mitchell (Alexander Mitchell) - Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Poindexter, Miles - Purdy, Richard A. (Richard Augustus) - Robinson, Corinne Roosevelt - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Vanderlip, Frank A. (Frank Arthur) - White, George - Wise, Stephen S. (Stephen Samuel) - Wood, Leonard
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionAmerican Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750-1789 The collection represents an important historical record of the mapping of North America and the Caribbean. Most of the items presented here are documented in Maps and Charts of North America and...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 1,414 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers The Andrew Jackson Papers is one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The Jackson archival collection contains more than 26,000 items dating from 1767 to...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers The seven volumes of diaries and notebooks, 1793-1861, of Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (ca.1775-1865) document her position at the center of a Washington, D.C., social circle that included George and Martha Washington,...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar In 1943, Ansel Adams (1902-1984), America's most well-known photographer, documented the Manzanar War Relocation Center in California and the Japanese-Americans interned there during World War II. For the first time, digital scans...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionBand Music from the Civil War Era On September 27, 1974, the Music Division of the Library of Congress re-created a typical concert of brass band and vocal music from mid-nineteenth-century America. That concert has become the starting-point for...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Music Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 19 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers The papers of diarist Betty Herndon Maury Maury (1835-1903) consist of a diary kept by Maury from June 3, 1861, to February 18, 1863. The two-volume diary was scanned from one reel...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection In 1954 the Library of Congress purchased from Alice H. Cox and Mary H. Evans, the daughters of Levin C. Handy approximately 10,000 original, duplicate, and copy negatives. The L.C. Handy Studio...
- Contributor: Brady, Mathew - Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin)
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionCharles Wellington Reed Papers, 1776 to 1926 The papers of Civil War soldier and artist Charles Wellington Reed (1841-1926) span the years 1776-1926, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1862-1865, when he served with the...
- Contributor: Reed, Charles Wellington
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionCivil War Explore the faces, places and events of the U.S. Civil War through photographs, prints and drawings. The Prints & Photographs Division holds thousands of images relating to the Civil War, found in...
- Contributor: Barnard, George N. - Brady, Mathew - Gardner, Alexander - Gibson, James F. - O'Sullivan, Timothy H. - Smith, William Morris
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 15,502 Items
CollectionCivil War Glass Negatives and Related Prints Provides access to about 7,000 different views and portraits made during the American Civil War (1861-1865) and its immediate aftermath. The images represent the original glass plate negatives made under the supervision...
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 8,726 Items
CollectionCivil War Maps Brings together materials from three premier collections: the Library of Congress Geography and Map Division, the Virginia Historical Society, and the Library of Virginia. Among the reconnaissance, sketch, and theater-of-war maps are...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Virginia Historical Society - Library of Virginia
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 2,336 Items
CollectionCivil War Soldier in the Wild Cat Regiment : Selections from the Tilton C. Reynolds Papers Comprising 164 items (359 digital images), this online presentation includes correspondence, photographs, and other materials dating between 1861 and 1865 documenting the Civil War experience of Captain Tilton C. Reynolds, a member...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Tilton C. - Reynolds, Juliana Smith
Collection Items: View 174 Items
CollectionClara Barton Papers The papers of nurse, educator, philanthropist, and lecturer Clara Barton (1821-1912) consist of 62,000 items (81,608 images), most of which were digitized from 123 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Barton, Clara
Collection Items: View 939 Items
CollectionConfederate States of America Records The records of the Confederate States of America span the years 1854-1889, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1861-1865, during the Civil War in America. The collection relates...
- Contributor: Confederate States of America - Wadsworth, James Wolcott - Confederate States of America. Army of Tennessee - Confederate States of America. Department of Justice - Confederate States of America. Department of State - Confederate States of America. Department of the Treasury - Confederate States of America. Navy - Confederate States of America. Post-Office Department - Confederate States of America. War Department
Collection Items: View 73 Items
CollectionCrisis in Darfur 2006 Web Archive Collection Period: February 20, 2006 to December 5, 2006. Described by the United Nations as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, the current conflict in Sudan’s western region of Darfur began in early...
- Contributor: Library of Congress
- Date: 2006
Collection Items: View 241 Items
CollectionDepartment of Defense Annual Reports (1948-1996) and Military Branch Budget Justification Books (1980-1996) This collection consists of: Department of Defense Annual Reports (1948-1996) and military service branch Justification of Estimates Books, "J-Books" (1980-1996). The digital collection is based on a large physical reference collection held...
Collection Items: View 713 Items
CollectionE. B. Washburne Papers The papers of United States representative from Illinois, diplomat, lawyer, and historian E. B. (Elihu Benjamin) Washburne (1816-1887) consist of 37,000 items in 144 containers. The material spans the years 1829-1915, with...
- Contributor: Washburne, E. (Elihu Benjamin)
Collection Items: View 169 Items
CollectionEdwin McMasters Stanton Papers, 1818-1921 The papers of lawyer and Secretary of War Edwin McMasters Stanton (1814-1869) span the years 1818-1921, with the bulk of the material originating between 1862 and 1870. They consist of approximately 7,650...
- Contributor: Stanton, Edwin M. (Edwin McMasters)
Collection Items: View 56 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives The photographs of the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection form an extensive pictorial record of American life between 1935 and 1944. This U.S. government photography project was...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 170,902 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Photographers working for the U.S. government's Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) between 1939 and 1944 made approximately 1,600 color photographs that depict life in the...
- Contributor: Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell ... Bransby, David - Collins, Marjory - Collier, John - Delano, Jack - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Feininger, Andreas - Hollem, Howard R. - Jacobs, Fenno - Lee, Russell - Liberman, Howard - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M. - Rosskam, Louise - Rothstein, Arthur - Rous, John - Sherwood, Mark - Siegel, Arthur S. - Vachon, John - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,623 Items
CollectionFenton Crimean War Photographs Roger Fenton's Crimean War photographs represent one of the earliest systematic attempts to document a war through the medium of photography. Fenton, who spent fewer than four months in the Crimea (March...
- Contributor: Fenton, Roger
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 268 Items
CollectionFiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection Fiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection presents traditional fiddle tunes performed by Henry Reed of Glen Lyn, Virginia. Recorded by folklorist Alan Jabbour in 1966-67, when Reed was...
- Contributor: Glenroy, William - Reed, Henry - Reed, Gene - Reed, Watha - Jabbour, Alan - Ricci, Glenn - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 292 Items
CollectionFrederick Law Olmsted Papers The papers of farmer, writer, reformer, landscape architect, urban and suburban planner, and conservationist Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903) consist of approximately 24,000 items (roughly 47,300 images), most of which were digitized from...
- Contributor: Olmsted, Frederick Law - Olmsted, Gideon - Olmsted, John
Collection Items: View 741 Items
CollectionGideon Welles Papers The papers of Gideon Welles (1802-1878), newspaper editor and U.S. secretary of the navy under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson, consist of 15,070 items (26,302 images), most of which were digitized...
- Contributor: Welles, Gideon - Learned, Henry Barrett - Welles, Edgar Thaddeus
Collection Items: View 364 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The William A. Gladstone Collection of African American Photographs provides almost 350 images showing African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period covered,...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Ball, James Presley - Moore, Henry P. - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 330 Items
CollectionHotchkiss Map Collection The Hotchkiss Map Collection contains cartographic items made by Major Jedediah Hotchkiss (1828-1899), a topographic engineer in the Confederate Army. Hotchkiss made detailed battle maps primarily of the Shenandoah Valley, some of...
- Date: 1828
Collection Items: View 349 Items
Collection Items: View 4,649 Items
CollectionJedediah Hotchkiss Papers The papers of educator, Confederate cartographer and topographical engineer Jedediah Hotchkiss (1828-1899) span the years 1835-1908, with the bulk of the material dating from 1875 to 1898. They consist of approximately 20,000...
- Contributor: Hotchkiss, Jedediah - Hotchkiss, Sara Anne Comfort - Rogers, William Barton
Collection Items: View 662 Items
CollectionJohn J. Pershing Papers The diaries, notebooks, and address books of John Joseph Pershing (1860-1948), U.S. army officer and commander-in-chief of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I, are part of a larger collection of...
- Contributor: Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Pershing, Helen F. (Helen Frances)
Collection Items: View 91 Items
CollectionLewis H. Machen Family Papers The Gresham family material in the Lewis H. Machen Family Papers consists of seven diaries kept by Georgia teenager LeRoy Wiley Gresham (1847-1865) during the Civil War, and approximately 550 items of...
- Contributor: Machen, Lewis H. (Lewis Henry) - Gresham, Leroy Wiley - Machen, Arthur Webster - Machen, Caroline Webster - Machen, Emmeline - Machen, James P. - Machen, Minnie Gresham
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionLiljenquist Family Collection of Civil War Photographs More than 2,500 special portrait photographs, called ambrotypes and tintypes, and small card photos called cartes de visite represent both Union and Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War (1861-1865). The portraits...
- Contributor: Liljenquist, Thomas Richard - Liljenquist, Jason George - Liljenquist, Brandon Paul - Liljenquist, Christian Blaine
- Date: 1851
Collection Items: View 2,650 Items
CollectionMary Ann Bickerdyke Papers The papers of Mary Ann Ball Bickerdyke (1817-1901), a Civil War nurse and agent for the United States Sanitary Commission who was known as "Mother Bickerdyke" to Union soldiers, consist of 1,800...
- Contributor: Bickerdyke, Mary Ann
Collection Items: View 97 Items