CollectionBefore and After the Great Earthquake and Fire: Early Films of San Francisco, 1897-1916 This collection consists of twenty-six films of San Francisco from before and after the Great Earthquake and Fire, 1897-1916. Seventeen of the films depict San Francisco and its environs before the 1906...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 34 Items
CollectionBenjamin Franklin Papers The papers of statesman, publisher, scientist, and diplomat Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) consist of approximately 8,000 items spanning the years 1726 to 1907, with most dating from the 1770s and 1780s. The collection's...
- Contributor: Franklin, Benjamin - Franklin, William Temple - Oswald, Richard - United States. Legation (France)
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionBetty Herndon Maury Maury Papers The papers of diarist Betty Herndon Maury Maury (1835-1903) consist of a diary kept by Maury from June 3, 1861, to February 18, 1863. The two-volume diary was scanned from one reel...
- Contributor: Maury, Betty Herndon Maury
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 7 Items
CollectionBorn in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938 contains more than 2,300 first-person accounts of slavery and 500 black-and-white photographs of former slaves. These narratives were collected in the...
- Contributor: Federal Writers' Project - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2001
Collection Items: View 603 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection In 1954 the Library of Congress purchased from Alice H. Cox and Mary H. Evans, the daughters of Levin C. Handy approximately 10,000 original, duplicate, and copy negatives. The L.C. Handy Studio...
- Contributor: Brady, Mathew - Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin)
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionBrazilian Presidential Election 2010 Web Archive Collection Period: September 2010 to January 2011. The Brazilian elections were held October 3, 2010. The president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, was not allowed by law to run for another term,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 49 Items
CollectionBronislava Nijinska Collection The collection of notable dancer, choreographer and teacher Bronislava Nijinska (1891-1972) contains a diverse variety of materials documenting dance and the arts in the twentieth century. Available here are over 200 collection...
- Contributor: Nijinska, Bronislava
- Date: 1891
Collection Items: View 210 Items
CollectionBrumfield Collection William C. Brumfield, Professor of Russian Studies at Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, has extensively photographed and written about the wooden architecture of the Russian North, the jumping-off point for the explorers,...
- Contributor: Brumfield, William Craft
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,139 Items
CollectionBuckaroos in Paradise: Ranching Culture in Northern Nevada, 1945-1982 Includes 41 motion pictures and 28 sound recordings, motion pictures produced from 1945 to 1965 by Leslie Stewart (owner of the Ninety-Six Ranch), 2,400 still photographs drawn from the Center's ethnographic field...
- Contributor: American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 2,441 Items
CollectionBurma/Myanmar General Election 2010 Web Archive Collection Period: May 2010 to January 2011. The November 7, 2010 Burma/Myanmar elections provided for under the 2008 constitution were watched by the world as critical to a government seeking broader legitimacy...
- Contributor: Library of Congress
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 34 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s 2007 marks the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's rookie season for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he stepped onto Ebbets field on April 15th, 1947, Robinson became the first African American in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionCabinet of American Illustration Contains more than four thousand original drawings by American book, magazine, and newspaper illustrators, made primarily between 1880 and 1910. The collection includes illustrations for magazines, novels, and children's books; cartoons; cover...
- Contributor: Beard, Daniel Carter - Elliott, Elizabeth Shippen Green - Fogarty, Thomas - Frost, A. (Arthur Burdett) - Herford, Oliver - Rogers, W. A. (William Allen) - Smedley, W. T. (William Thomas) - Steele, Frederic Dorr - Wright, George Hand - Yohn, F. C. (Frederick Coffay)
- Date: 1830
Collection Items: View 3,927 Items
CollectionCalifornia as I Saw It: First-Person Narratives of California's Early Years, 1849-1900 The collection covers the dramatic decades between the Gold Rush and the turn of the twentieth century. It captures the pioneer experience; encounters between Anglo-Americans and the diverse peoples who had preceded...
Collection Items: View 207 Items
CollectionCalifornia Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties Collected by Sidney Robertson Cowell This online presentation, California Gold: Northern California Folk Music from the Thirties, comprises 35 hours of folk music recorded in 12 languages representing numerous ethnic groups and 185 musicians. It includes sound...
- Contributor: Cowell, Sidney Robertson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1997
Collection Items: View 1,253 Items
CollectionCapital and the Bay: Narratives of Washington and the Chesapeake Bay Region, 1600-1925 The fourth in a series of local history collections presented by the National Digital Library Program as part of American Memory, joining "California As I Saw It", Pioneering the Upper Midwest, and...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 141 Items
CollectionCaptain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal Captain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal captures the culture and music of the men, women, and children who worked and lived along the Ohio and Erie Canal....
- Contributor: Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Alan - Nye, Pearl R. - Archive of American Folk Song - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 140 Items
CollectionThe Carnegie Hall Collection of Conversations with Composers Ellen Taaffe Zwilich held the first Carnegie Hall Composer’s Chair from 1995 to 1999. One of her many initiatives as chair was to build a video archive of interviews with composers whose...
Collection Items: View 11 Items
CollectionCarnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South Noted architectural photographer Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) created a systematic record of early American buildings and gardens called the Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South (CSAS). This collection, created primarily...
- Contributor: Johnston, Frances Benjamin - Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 6,965 Items
CollectionCarpenter Collection The more than 15,000 images in the Frank and Frances Carpenter Collection represent the extensive photographic files assembled by Frank G. Carpenter and his daughter Frances to illustrate his popular writings on...
- Contributor: Carpenter, Frank G. (Frank George) - Carpenter, Frances
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,813 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Offers more than 9,000 original drawings for editorial cartoons, caricatures, and comic strips spanning the late 1700s to the present, primarily from 1880 to 1980. The cartoons cover people and events throughout...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Conacher, John C. - Covarrubias, Miguel - Crockett, Gib - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell) - Johnson, Herbert - Kelly, Walt - Kirby, Rollin - Mahony, Felix - Mauldin, Bill - Muḥaṣṣiṣ, Ardashīr
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,865 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Herblock Collection Herbert L. Block (1909-2001), known to the world as Herblock, was one of the most influential political commentators and editorial cartoonists in American history. His long chronicle of major social and political...
- Contributor: Block, Herbert
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 9,101 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Swann Collection of Caricature and Cartoon Contains 2,085 drawings, prints, and paintings related to the art of caricature, cartoon, and illustration, spanning the years 1780 to 1977 and includes works by 521 American and foreign artists and illustrators....
- Contributor: Swann, Erwin - Caroline and Erwin Swann Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1780
Collection Items: View 772 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American This assemblage of more than 500 prints made in America during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries encompasses several forms of political art. Most of the prints are from the division's PC/US series,...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Bucholzer, H. - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Currier, Nathaniel - Magee, John L. - Maurer, Louis - Robinson, Henry R. - Currier & Ives
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 818 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, British The Prints and Photographs Division holds one of the largest collections of British political and satirical prints in America. The approximately 9,000 prints (approximately 8,500 distinct images) in the collection highlight British...
- Date: 1650
Collection Items: View 946 Items
CollectionA Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation: U.S. Congressional Documents and Debates 1774-1875 Beginning with the Continental Congress in 1774, America's national legislative bodies have kept records of their proceedings. The records of the Continental Congress, the Constitutional Convention, and the United States Congress make...
- Contributor: Law Library of Congress (U.S.) - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 637 Items
CollectionCharles Wellington Reed Papers, 1776 to 1926 The papers of Civil War soldier and artist Charles Wellington Reed (1841-1926) span the years 1776-1926, with the bulk of the material concentrated in the period 1862-1865, when he served with the...
- Contributor: Reed, Charles Wellington
Collection Items: View 36 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The Chicago Ethnic Arts Project survey was conducted in 1977 by the American Folklife Center at the request of the Illinois Arts Council to assess and document the status of ethnic art...
- Contributor: Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan ... Bartis, Peter - Bradunas, Elena - Brzovich, Mato - Choi, Chungmoo - Epstein, Shifra - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - George, Philip - Hellenberg, Antony - Kalčik, Susan J. - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - Klymasz, Shirley - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Lund, Jens - March, Richard - Mathias, Elizabeth - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Swenson, Greta E. - Dovydenas, Jonas - Fleischhauer, Carl - González, José Gamaliel - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Illinois Arts Council - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,121 Items
CollectionCities and Towns This category includes maps that depict individual buildings to panoramic views of large urban areas. These maps record the evolution of cities illustrating the development and nature of economic activities, educational and...
- Date: 1500
Collection Items: View 3,596 Items
CollectionCivil Rights History Project On May 12, 2009, the U. S. Congress authorized a national initiative by passing The Civil Rights History Project Act of 2009 (Public Law 111-19). The law directs the Library of Congress...
- Contributor: Abernathy, Donzaleigh - Abernathy, Juandalynn R. - Abernathy, Ralph David - Ackerman, David M. - Ackerman, Satoko Ito - Adams-Johnson, Frankye - Anderson, Fletcher - Anderson, Cynthia Baker - Anderson, William G. - Arellanes, Gloria ... Abernathy, Donzaleigh - Abernathy, Juandalynn R. - Abernathy, Ralph David - Ackerman, David M. - Ackerman, Satoko Ito - Adams-Johnson, Frankye - Anderson, Fletcher - Anderson, Cynthia Baker - Anderson, William G. - Arellanes, Gloria - Avery, Annie Pearl - Bailey, D'army - Bassett, Emmett W. - Bassett, Priscilla - Bates, Scott - Becton, Julius W. (Julius Wesley) - Bennett, Geraldine Crawford - Blake, Harry - Bond, Julian - Booker, Simeon - Branch, Raylawni G. - Breaux, Toni - Broadway, Louise W. - Brown, Amos C. (Amos Cleophilus) - Brown, Harold K. - Brown, Robert J. - Browner, Clifford - Bruce, Walter - Burns, Julia Matilda - Burras, Carol Cummings - Caldwell, Ben R. - Camarillo, Mateo - Carawan, Candie - Carawan, Guy - Carlos, John - Carter, Robert L. - Churchville, John Elliott - Clark, Robert George - Cleaver, Kathleen - Collins, Barbara Maria - Connor, Peggy Jean - Conway, Purcell Maurice - Cotton, Dorothy F. - Cox, Courtland - Crosby, David L. - Crosby, Patricia A. - Dahmer, Ellie J. - Dahmer, Vernon - Derby, Doris Adelaide - Diamond, Dion T. - Dixon, Aaron Floyd - Dixon, Elmer - Dove, Samuel - Dudley, John F. - Duncan, Gwendolyn Annette - Finney, Ernest A., (Ernest Adolphus) - Fuller, Linda - Funchess, Glenda - Gaither, Thomas Walter - Geiger, Jack - George, Virginia Simms - Glascoe, Myrtle Gonza - Greenberg, Jack - Greene, Freddie - Grinnell, Gloria Claudette - Guster, Leesco - Guyot, Lawrence - Hamilton, Audrey Nell - Hayling, Robert Bagner - Head, Rosie M. - Henderson, Juadine - Hicks, Charles Ray - Hicks, Darryl Robertson - Hicks, Gregory Vincent - Hicks, Robert Lawrence - Hicks, Valeria Payton - Hildreth, Marilyn Luper - Hill, Oliver W. - Holloway, Eddie A. - Holloway, Emma Kate - Holloway, Lucius - Hopkins, Evans D. - Howard, Elbert - Howell, Embry - Howell, Joseph T. - Hrabowski, Freeman A. - Huggins, Ericka - Hutchings, Phil - Jackson, Gertrude Newsome - Jarmon, Charles - Jenkins, Mary F. - Jenkins, Timothy Lionel - Jenkins, Willie Elliot - Jones, Clarence - Jones, James Oscar - Jones, Jamila - Jones, Mary A. - Jones, Nathaniel Hawthorne - King, Lonnie C. - Ladner, Dorie - Ladner, Joyce A. - Lawrence, William M. - Lawson, Jennifer - Leventhal, Willy S. (Willy Siegel) - Long, Worth W. - Lowery, Joseph E. - Lucy, William - Luper, Calvin - Magee, Clarence - Mahone, Sam - Marshall, Cecilia - McCarty, Michael D. - McClary, Robert - McCullar, Johnnie Ruth - McDew, Charles - McKinney, Samuel Berry - McLaurin, Charles - McNichols, Steven - Miller, Carolyn - Miller, Grace H. - Miller, James E. - Moldovan, Alfred - Moore, E. Maynard - Montes, Carlos - Mtume, Norma - Mulholland, Joan Trumpauer - Newson, Moses J. - Noonan, Martha P. - Parker, Wheeler - Patton, Gwendolyn M. - Perry, Matthew J. (Matthew James) - Richardson, Gloria - Richardson, Judy - Robinson, Betty Garman - Robinson, Reginald - Rosenberg, Jean Voelker - Rosenberg, John M. - Roxborough, Mildred Bond - Russell, Bill - Sales, Ruby - Saunders, William - Seeger, Pete - Sellers, Cleveland - Sherrod, Charles - Sherrod, Shirley - Siler, Charles E. - Simmons, Gwendolyn Zoharah - Simpson, Euvester - Smith, Jeanette - Sobol, Anne Buxton - Sobol, Richard - Stewart, Eleanor - Strickland, William - Suggs, Frances L - Suggs, Harold - Terry, Esther M. A. - Thelwell, Michael - Tillow, Kay - Tillow, Walter M. - Todd, Lisa Anderson - Tuttle, Rick - Ulmer, Joeann Anderson - Varela, Maria - Vickers, Barbara Edna - Vivian, C. T. - Walker, Wyatt Tee - Walter, Mildred Pitts - Williams, Cecil J. - Williams, Junius W. - Wright, Simeon - Young, Carrie Lamar - Young, Sam - Zapata, Luis - Zellner, Dorothy - Bishop, John Melville - Branch, Taylor - Cline, David P. - Crosby, Emilye - Dittmer, John - Griffin, Willie James - Jeffries, Hasan Kwame - Mosnier, Joseph - Paysour, Lafleur - Reece, Dwandalyn R. - Sullivan, Patricia - Taylor, Kieran Walsh - Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - National Museum of African American History and Culture (U.S.) - Library of Congress - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Southern Oral History Program
- Date: 2010
Collection Items: View 144 Items
CollectionCivil War Explore the faces, places and events of the U.S. Civil War through photographs, prints and drawings. The Prints & Photographs Division holds thousands of images relating to the Civil War, found in...
- Contributor: Barnard, George N. - Brady, Mathew - Gardner, Alexander - Gibson, James F. - O'Sullivan, Timothy H. - Smith, William Morris
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 15,502 Items
CollectionCivil War Glass Negatives and Related Prints Provides access to about 7,000 different views and portraits made during the American Civil War (1861-1865) and its immediate aftermath. The images represent the original glass plate negatives made under the supervision...
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 8,726 Items
CollectionCivil War Maps Brings together materials from three premier collections: the Library of Congress Geography and Map Division, the Virginia Historical Society, and the Library of Virginia. Among the reconnaissance, sketch, and theater-of-war maps are...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Virginia Historical Society - Library of Virginia
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 2,336 Items
CollectionCivil War Soldier in the Wild Cat Regiment : Selections from the Tilton C. Reynolds Papers Comprising 164 items (359 digital images), this online presentation includes correspondence, photographs, and other materials dating between 1861 and 1865 documenting the Civil War experience of Captain Tilton C. Reynolds, a member...
- Contributor: Reynolds, Tilton C. - Reynolds, Juliana Smith
Collection Items: View 174 Items
CollectionClara Barton Papers The papers of nurse, educator, philanthropist, and lecturer Clara Barton (1821-1912) consist of 62,000 items (81,608 images), most of which were digitized from 123 reels of previously produced microfilm. Spanning the years...
- Contributor: Barton, Clara
Collection Items: View 939 Items