Collection | Audio Recording Divine liturgy of St. Basil with its hymns St. Basil's liturgy / Saint Basil's liturgy / Coptic liturgy of St. Basil / Coptic liturgy of Saint Basil / John Gillespie duplication project
About this Item
- Divine liturgy of St. Basil with its hymns
- Other Title
- St. Basil's liturgy
- Saint Basil's liturgy
- Coptic liturgy of St. Basil
- Coptic liturgy of Saint Basil
- John Gillespie duplication project
- Contributor Names
- Girgis, Father Marcus of Matai (vocalist)
- Attalah, Sadiq (vocalist)
- Gillespie, John E. (compiler)
- Moftah, Ragheb -- 1898-2001 (director)
- as-Suryani, Father Shenouda [His Holiness Pope Shenouda III] (vocalist)
- Father Gregoriuos (vocalist)
- Aziz, Father Ibrahim (vocalist)
- Institute of Coptic Studies Choir (vocalist)
- Created / Published
- - Congregation Responses: The Institute of Coptic Studies Choir (performers)
- - Deacon Responses: Sadiq Attallah (performers)
- - Priests: Father Marcus Girgis of Matai, Father Shenouda as-Suryani (current Coptic Patriarch, His Holiness Pope Shenouda III) (performers)
- - Priests: Father Gregorius, Father Ibrahim Aziz (performers)
- - The American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress (ownership)
- sound recording
- 8 sound tape reels: analog, 15 ips, mono.; 10-inch
- American Folklife Center
- Library of Congress Control Number
- LC Classification
- AFC 1970/037
- Online Format
- John E. Gillespie collection of Coptic mass recordings - Coptic liturgy of St. Basil as recorded by the Coptic Institute of Studies in 1967 under the direction of Ragheb Moftah sound recording | 8 sound tape reels: analog, 15 ips, mono.; 10-inch | Congregation Responses: The Institute of Coptic Studies Choir (Performers). Deacon Responses: Sadiq Attallah (Performers). Priests: Father Marcus Girgis of Matai, Father Shenouda as-Suryani (current Coptic Patriarch, His Holiness Pope Shenouda III) (Performers). Priests: Father Gregorius, Father Ibrahim Aziz (Performers). The American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress (Ownership). Sound Recording (Form).
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- METSXML Record
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- As-Suryani, Father Shenouda [His Holiness Pope Shenouda Iii]
- Attalah, Sadiq
- Aziz, Father Ibrahim
- Coptic Church
- Father Gregoriuos
- Gillespie, John
- Gillespie, John E.
- Girgis, Father Marcus of Matai
- Institute of Coptic Studies (Cairo, Egypt). Choir
- Institute of Coptic Studies Choir
- Jabbour, Alan
- Moftah, Ragheb
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
Thanks go to the following persons and organizations for granting permission for the use of items in the online presentation Coptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody. Users may need to contact these rights owners for any re-use of materials:
Wassif Boutros-Ghali, President, Société d’Archéologie Copte, Cairo, for permission to reproduce articles on O.H.E. Burmester by Otto Meinardus, an atlas of Christian sites in Egypt by Meinardus, a photograph of O.H.E. Burmester, and a brochure on a map of Christian Egypt by Burmester, all published by the Société d’Archéologie Copte.
Yasmine El Dorghamy, Turath, for permission to reproduce the article on Ragheb Moftah by Dr. Raymond Stock from Turath, August 2008.
Estate of John E. Gillespie, for permission to use two articles by John Gillespie and to reproduce the Gillespie correspondence in the American Folklife Center.
Chi Keat-Man, Syndication Account Manager, Telegraph Media Group Limited, London, for permission to reproduce three 1931 and 1932 articles on Newlandsmith from The Daily Telegraph.
Claire Lamont, The Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, London, for permission to reproduce Oriental Hymn Tunes by William Henry Temple, 1930.
Karen Lee of Cengage Learning, Belmont, California, for permission to use a selection of texts from The Coptic Encyclopedia.
Father Charles Libois, S.J., Collège de la Sainte-Famille, Cairo, and Lebanon, for photographs of Fathers Jules Blin and Louis Badet, as well as biographical sources on them.
Stephen McArthur of Multicultural Media, for permission to digitize four tracks from Echoes of the Nile: Aspects of Egyptian Music.
MVF - Michael Video, Heliopolis, for permission to reproduce film of Moftah’s funeral, 18 June 2001.
Simon O’Neill, Group Editor, The Oxford Mail and The Oxford Times, for permission to reproduce two articles on Newlandsmith’s lectures in England in May 1931.
Alan Powell, The Star, Sheffield, for permission to reproduce an article on Newlandsmith in the Sheffield Mail, 1931.
Sinead Porter, NI Syndication, London, for permission to reproduce an article on Newlandsmith from The Daily Herald, 1931.
David Ramm, Editor-in-Chief, AMS Press, Brooklyn, New York, for permission to reproduce The Coptic Morning Service for the Lord’s Day by the Marquess of Bute.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutowski and Dr. Carl Zytowski, University of California, Santa Barbara, for permission to reproduce their memorial article on John Gillespie.
Father Thomas Sable, S.J., Director, Center for Eastern Christian Studies and Editor of Diakonia, The Theology Department, University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania, for permission to reproduce Marian Robertson’s article on Newlandsmith’s transcriptions, and for giving us a copy of Diakonia.
His Grace, Bishop Serapion, Bishop of Los Angeles, and His Grace, Bishop Youssef, Bishop of Southern USA, for permission to reproduce The Divine Liturgies of Saints Basil, Gregory and Cyril, 2001.
Youssef Sidhom, Editor-in-Chief, Watani Newspaper, for permission to use the documentary film, Eminent Copts in Egyptian History: The Power of Coptic Music, Ragheb Moftah 1998, which includes an interview with Moftah by the late Egyptian musicologist, Dr. Adel Kamel.
Welcome Video Film, Cairo, for permission to reproduce film of Moftah’s 100th birthday, 21 December 1998.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Girgis, Father Marcus Of Matai, Sadiq Attalah, John E Gillespie, Ragheb Moftah, Father Shenouda His Holiness Pope Shenouda Iii As-Suryani, Father Gregoriuos, Father Ibrahim Aziz, and Institute Of Coptic Studies Choir. Divine liturgy of St. Basil with its hymns.  Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/2009655441/.
APA citation style:
Girgis, F. M. O. M., Attalah, S., Gillespie, J. E., Moftah, R., As-Suryani, F. S. H. H. P. S. I., Father Gregoriuos [...] Institute Of Coptic Studies Choir. (1967) Divine liturgy of St. Basil with its hymns. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/2009655441/.
MLA citation style:
Girgis, Father Marcus Of Matai, et al. Divine liturgy of St. Basil with its hymns.  Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2009655441/>.