Notated Music Ragged Bill [music transcription]
About this Item
- Ragged Bill [music transcription]
- Contributor Names
- Jabbour, Alan (Transcriber)
- Created / Published
- [Between 1966 and 1968]
- Subject Headings
- - Instrumental music
- - Fiddle tunes
- - Folk music--Appalachian Region
- - Ragtime music
- - Ethnography
- - Sheet Music
- - Music score
- - United States -- Virginia -- Giles County -- Glen Lyn
- Sheet Music
- Music score
- - Meter: 4/4
- - Transcribed by Alan Jabbour, from a performance by Henry Reed.
- - Key: C
- - Compass: 12
- - Title change: This tune is transcribed after the continuation of "Rochester Schottische" on the page.
- - Strains: 2 (high-low, 8-8)
- - Rendition: 1-2-1-2-1-2
- - Phrase Structure: ABCD ABCE QRCD' SRTU (aa'bb'cde aa'bb'cdf qrstcde'u vrstwxy)
- - Stylistic features: Includes extended fourth finger to high C on E-string.
- - Handwritten: Played 3 times thru; 2nd time transcribed.
- - "Ragged Bill" is a turn-of-the-century ragtime composition that has gained a modest niche in Southern tradition. Henry Reed's set omits the implied beats in the phrase finals. Some of his children play the tune with an extra two beats in the last bar of the first phrase, thus making it like the last bar of the third phrase (e'u), and they claim that he used to include those extra beats himself. His performance is notable for using mostly separate bowstrokes in the first strain, giving the piece a rag-like quality quite different from his usual tunes. The second strain shifts to a different style, with more slurs and several repeated ragtime rhythmic figures.
- manuscript; 1 page
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1967/007: Notebook 3: p. 19b
- Source Collection
- Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 1
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Photographs in this collection produced by Carl Fleischhauer, Karen Singer Jabbour, and Kit Olson are reproduced here with their permission. Mr. Fleischhauer does not object to additional use of the photos he created provided he is credited as the photographer. Persons contemplating other kinds of uses or use of the other photographers' work should contact the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 1 (AFC 1967/007), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Alan Jabbour duplication project, part 2 (AFC 1969/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Fiddle tunes of the old frontier: the Henry Reed collection online presentation (AFC 1999/016), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jabbour, Alan. Ragged Bill music transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968, 1966] Notated Music. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcreed000067/.
APA citation style:
Jabbour, A. (1966) Ragged Bill music transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968] [Notated Music] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcreed000067/.
MLA citation style:
Jabbour, Alan. Ragged Bill music transcription. [Between 1966 and 1968, 1966] Notated Music. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcreed000067/>.