Audio Recording "My place is with you guys."
About this Item
- "My place is with you guys."
- Contributor Names
- Stetin, Sol (Narrator)
- Taylor, David Alan, 1951- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Polish Americans
- - Labor Unions
- - Strikes
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Labor leaders
- - Sound recordings
- - Retirees
- - Textile industry
- - American Labor Museum/Botto House National Landmark
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Haledon
- - Interview with Sol Stetin, former president of the Amalgamated Textile Workers Union, conducted at the American Labor Museum Botto House National Landmark on August 4, 1994.
- - I got a job and [my new boss] put me in the shipping room. And then one time a strike breaks out. All the men walk out of the plant. And the super comes to me and says, "Listen, this has nothing to do with you. You're in the shipping room and the shipping room's not involved in the strike, just the production workers. So I didn't go out. . . . And they went out at twelve o'clock and I remember the word went around they were going to meet again at night. But it didn't affect me, so I didn't go out. Five o'clock I went home. . . . And in those days, at night, you'd hang around the candy store. You'd listen to Father Coughlin, the fascist. You remember, you heard about Father Coughlin? And they had a radio, I don't think we even had a radio in those days. And I see one of the fellows . . . and [he said], "I hear there's a strike on at your place." And I said, "Yes, but it has nothing to do with me." Well, when he got through with me he had me convinced that I had done a terrible, terrible thing. That very night, I ran across the bridge, I waited for the bus. I knew where the meeting was going to take place: 612 River Street, the Kallin Ballroom. I ran up those stairs and I asked for the floor and I apologized: "My place is with you guys." . . . To make a long story short, the next day I'm on the picket line.
- Analog Audio Cassette
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-DT-A011
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Stetin, Sol, and David Alan Taylor. "My place is with you guys.". -08-04, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip000007/.
APA citation style:
Stetin, S. & Taylor, D. A. (1994) "My place is with you guys.". -08-04. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip000007/.
MLA citation style:
Stetin, Sol, and David Alan Taylor. "My place is with you guys.". -08-04, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip000007/>.