Audio Recording "I wasn't going to stay here at all."
About this Item
- "I wasn't going to stay here at all."
- Contributor Names
- Decker, Jean (Narrator)
- McCarl, Robert (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Watson Machine International
- - Machinery industry
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Jean Decker at Watson Machine International.
- - Summary of audio segment: "I worked half a day and I went home for lunch and I said, 'I'm not going back there.' I wasn't going to stay here at all." McCarl -- First impressions? Jean says, "Well at that time, the one girl was out sick. Her mother had cancer and she was out with a leave of absence. So there was only two other girls here at the time. And they were so busy, nobody had time to say boo to you, you know. So I'm sitting there and they gave me a typewriter, you know, it was so old I think it came over with the Ark. No desk, a table and I'm sitting like this [all squeezed up]. So by noon hour I was pretty well fed up on it. So my mother said, 'If you don't like it, don't go back.' So I said I'd go back for the afternoon. So the afternoon I start meeting different people and all . . . So I stayed forty-five years." [Laughs] They were very nice people to work for. Very kind. It was more like a family. That's why I still come in. You know I feel like I have known him (Ian McLaughlan) because I remember when he was born. Jean started when Ian's father, Malcolm, was running the business.
- Analog Audio Cassette
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-RM-A006
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Decker, Jean, and Robert McCarl. "I wasn't going to stay here at all.". -08-10, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip002803/.
APA citation style:
Decker, J. & McCarl, R. (1994) "I wasn't going to stay here at all.". -08-10. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip002803/.
MLA citation style:
Decker, Jean, and Robert McCarl. "I wasn't going to stay here at all.". -08-10, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip002803/>.