Audio Recording Passing the time during the Depression
About this Item
- Passing the time during the Depression
- Contributor Names
- Basileo, Angelo (Narrator)
- McCarl, Robert (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Italian Americans
- - Unemployment
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Retirees
- - Leisure
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Haledon
- - Interview with Angelo Basileo at his home in Haledon, New Jersey.
- - Summary of audio segment: Life during the Depression. "Then I was out of work, my brother was out of work, I had a sister and a younger brother then. My older brother and I were the only ones old enough to work. My father was in silk at that time; with nobody working, his was the only money coming in for a long time. We used to go out looking for work, couldn't find anything. A bunch of us guys out of work used to stand on the corner, all nice guys, got along good. My father would give me and my brother a quarter a week for an allowance. So we'd pool our quarters or whatever it is -- maybe half a dozen guys, and somebody would have a car, and we'd go fishing for the day. We'd buy a submarine sandwich, those long Italian loaves and load them with ham and cheese, and go up to this lake and this town . . . I forget where, and rent a rowboat and go fishing. Go fishing for the day. Sit in the boat and pass the time, instead of hanging around on corners all the time. We did that once in a while, not too often. Things picked up, my father gave up the shoe store again and he went back to weaving. The trouble is, he used to have a book, you know, of customers who owed him, you know, nobody had any money. And he carried them over, and when they could pay, they'd pay. In those days people had their shoes repaired all the time. Not like today, you buy a pair and throw it away. They got along ok, they all grew up."
- Analog Audio Cassette
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-RM-A008
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Basileo, Angelo, and Robert McCarl. Passing the time during the Depression. -08-11, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip002812/.
APA citation style:
Basileo, A. & McCarl, R. (1994) Passing the time during the Depression. -08-11. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip002812/.
MLA citation style:
Basileo, Angelo, and Robert McCarl. Passing the time during the Depression. -08-11, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip002812/>.