Audio Recording "The only time we had fruit cocktail, it was once a year at Christmastime."
About this Item
- "The only time we had fruit cocktail, it was once a year at Christmastime."
- Contributor Names
- Garcia, Felix (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Foodways
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Law enforcement
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Felix Garcia.
- - Summary of audio segment: FG remembers that Christmas was the only time he was able to eat fruit cocktail. His father would come in and say he had a surprise, he had a little can of fruit cocktail, and they'd have to split it among 4 of them. FG wore Converse sneakers that cost $2.98, purchased in a store on Lower Main Street. And the sneakers had to last him a year, maybe more. His father put cardboard in when they wore through. And jeans had to last a long time, were patched, etc. FG got to drive a car when he reached the age of 20, his father gave him an 1954 Ford, an old beat up Ford, and that was important to FG. He had his driver's license, and wanted to hang out with friends, go to church and to CYOs and hang out on Friday nights and have a good time. FG never smoked or drank when he was growing up, though he drinks socially now he never touched it then, never messed with drugs. He's 45 years old now, been on the job 23 years. Can retire in 2 more years. FG is fortunate, has a beautiful family, beautiful wife and home, has a business [his wife, Luz "Mari" Garcia's hair salon on 21st Avenue, where this interview was conducted], still live in the city, and that's about it.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A018
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Garcia, Felix, and Thomas D Carroll. "The only time we had fruit cocktail, it was once a year at Christmastime.". -09-06, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip002856/.
APA citation style:
Garcia, F. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "The only time we had fruit cocktail, it was once a year at Christmastime.". -09-06. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip002856/.
MLA citation style:
Garcia, Felix, and Thomas D Carroll. "The only time we had fruit cocktail, it was once a year at Christmastime.". -09-06, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip002856/>.