Audio Recording Bob Dale talking about evolving technology
About this Item
- Bob Dale talking about evolving technology
- Contributor Names
- Dale, Robert (Narrator)
- McCarl, Robert (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Work processes
- - Watson Machine International
- - Machinery industry
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Barney Titus at Watson Machine International.
- - Summary of audio segment: Bob Dale talking about electronics and machines. "In the old days when I started in the industry. When I came out of Paterson Technical all you had was a motor and a belt and a shaft and a starter to pull it in. That's it, that ran the machine. I've seen, when I was eighteen years old we used to go to some of these dye houses and they still had belts and pulleys with one big motor running the whole place. I can remember that when I used to work for Miller Electric . . . we used to go in some of these places in Paterson and back in the 'fifties they had these belts and shivs and pulleys and some of these textile places would run that way. Now. From that time to now, it's like night and day. All these drives they come out with, the electronic circuity, the boards, the PLC's and power supplies. They want so much control and they want such high quality and productivity which has come about because of the evolvement of this technology. And this is what everybody wants. This is what they are going to. To me, it's kept me busy. I would say when I was at Continental Can we started getting this stuff back in the early 'eighties -- PLC's, line controls, sensors . . . That would control the flow of product. This started coming on stream, putting this into our plant. Productivity started rising. The product started to get cheaper to make because we made more with less people."
- Analog Audio Cassette
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-RM-A001
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dale, Robert, and Robert McCarl. Bob Dale talking about evolving technology. -08-05, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003179/.
APA citation style:
Dale, R. & McCarl, R. (1994) Bob Dale talking about evolving technology. -08-05. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003179/.
MLA citation style:
Dale, Robert, and Robert McCarl. Bob Dale talking about evolving technology. -08-05, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003179/>.