Audio Recording "The only leftover thing that I did with him was the castor oil mixture with coke syup."
About this Item
- "The only leftover thing that I did with him was the castor oil mixture with coke syup."
- Contributor Names
- Fulcher, Howard (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Drugstores
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Family-run businesses
- - Pharmacists
- - Traditional medicine
- - Fulcher's Pharmacy (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Howard Fulcher, owner, Fulcher's Pharmacy.
- - Summary of audio segment: (Elixers or home remedies?) There was an item that was sold from magazines, White Cloverine brand salves, and when my subscription came which I ordered and my father got mad, thinking I was going to sell it to his customers. There were offbeat products on the market to cure ills that are not viewed as upper crust of medication, but are still well thought of by different classes of people and still relied on, like castor oil mixtures and laxatives used rather than seeing doctors first, and the pharmacist was instrumental in helping, the dosing etc. with those remedies in a lot of cases . . . The only leftover thing that I did was the castor oil mixture with the coke syrup and the little fizz we'd add, the bicarbonate of soda and citrate, so the patient couldn't taste it as it went down. (Root people? Traditional medicine?) We had enough doctors in the community that we didn't have to resort to any extraordinary measures. But I'm sure it still exists in the South and some places.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A015
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Fulcher, Howard, and Susan Levitas. "The only leftover thing that I did with him was the castor oil mixture with coke syup.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003621/.
APA citation style:
Fulcher, H. & Levitas, S. (1994) "The only leftover thing that I did with him was the castor oil mixture with coke syup.". -08-17. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003621/.
MLA citation style:
Fulcher, Howard, and Susan Levitas. "The only leftover thing that I did with him was the castor oil mixture with coke syup.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003621/>.