Audio Recording Operating a taxi service without two-way radios
About this Item
- Operating a taxi service without two-way radios
- Contributor Names
- Jiggetts, George (Narrator)
- Jiggetts, Martha (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Transportation
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Work processes
- - Family-run businesses
- - Jiggetts Transportation (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with George and Martha Jiggetts, owners, Jiggetts Transportation.
- - Summary of audio segment: Got their first taxi in 1942, the first year they came to Paterson at the same time they had the truck and every other job. City was going to give four taxis to black people; her cousin and brother got one each, one other guy and George got one. There were no two- way radios then; instead, they had a speaker they put out on the porch of their house and George would drive by and she would give him his next calls after he blew his horn. Later a taxi could have radios.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A016
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Chicago citation style:
Jiggetts, George, Martha Jiggetts, and Susan Levitas. Operating a Taxi Service Without Two-Way Radios. -08-19, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003633/.
APA citation style:
Jiggetts, G., Jiggetts, M. & Levitas, S. (1994) Operating a Taxi Service Without Two-Way Radios. -08-19. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003633/.
MLA citation style:
Jiggetts, George, Martha Jiggetts, and Susan Levitas. Operating a Taxi Service Without Two-Way Radios. -08-19, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003633/>.