Audio Recording "There were buses but they didn't pull so good."
About this Item
- "There were buses but they didn't pull so good."
- Contributor Names
- Jiggetts, George (Narrator)
- Jiggetts, Martha (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Transportation
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Jiggetts Transportation (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with George and Martha Jiggetts, owners, Jiggetts Transportation.
- - Summary of audio segment: The only other way to get around town was buses, but they wouldn't pull so good. If it was raining hard they wouldn't run. Leaving from Wright's we'd have to get out and walk up, so a lot of people were buying cars. To go to Passaic was a dollar and a quarter, now it costs seventeen dollars. Then, they got a place on 28 Governor Street and were working strictly taxis; had eight to twelve guys working for him. Had the taxis painted blue with gold letters; radios came in in the 1950s.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A016
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Chicago citation style:
Jiggetts, George, Martha Jiggetts, and Susan Levitas. "There were buses but they didn't pull so good.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003635/.
APA citation style:
Jiggetts, G., Jiggetts, M. & Levitas, S. (1994) "There were buses but they didn't pull so good.". -08-19. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003635/.
MLA citation style:
Jiggetts, George, Martha Jiggetts, and Susan Levitas. "There were buses but they didn't pull so good.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003635/>.