Audio Recording "I got a job at Wellworth's Pickle Factory."
About this Item
- "I got a job at Wellworth's Pickle Factory."
- Contributor Names
- Jones, Leonard (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Work processes
- - Industrial facilities
- - Food industry
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Leonard Jones, urban gardener, hardware store worker, motorcycle club member.
- - Summary of audio segment: In the summer I worked until I left school at 18, Then got a job at Wellworth's Pickles located behind the gas houses on Riverside where they dispensed gas. I worked there for two years, I left there and went to the wire mill. Heard about the pickle factory from brother. In the winter time they closed down, in the summer they would hire people. I was a loader; mostly girls packed them. Then I worked the brining machine. That required timing; you had to be able to grab a jar at the right time and put it under the briner. It would come out of a hopper and you had to put the jar under it; had to have coordination; spilled a lot at first; but it was fun after a while, I tried to beat the machine. I was good; after a while I could do it and stop and look at it. When you got speed, you could slow down; once you get used it it and know how it operates you have the control over it. I could do it with my eyes closed. After a while you don't smell the pickles anymore, but you got out and no matter what you do or how much you wash you still smell like a pickle; that's why I left the job after the second year. I'd leave work on a Friday and on Sunday I'd still smell like a pickle so I said "I can't have this" -- I was losing out on my dates. So I gave it up and went into another trade. I started working at the wire mill.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A017
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jones, Leonard, and Susan Levitas. "I got a job at Wellworth's Pickle Factory.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003638/.
APA citation style:
Jones, L. & Levitas, S. (1994) "I got a job at Wellworth's Pickle Factory.". -08-19. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003638/.
MLA citation style:
Jones, Leonard, and Susan Levitas. "I got a job at Wellworth's Pickle Factory.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003638/>.