Audio Recording "When I go out there, I say, 'I made it grow,' you know? And I enjoy it, to see it go from small to large."
About this Item
- "When I go out there, I say, 'I made it grow,' you know? And I enjoy it, to see it go from small to large."
- Contributor Names
- Jones, Leonard (Narrator)
- Levitas, Susan, 1961- (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - African Americans
- - Gardening
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Leonard Jones, urban gardener, hardware store worker, motorcycle club member.
- - Summary of audio segment: Boss likes the garden, he says "How's our garden doing?" The only one thing wrong is there's no water, I have to run a hose from here across the street. I've lost two hoses already because cars run over them so I have to keep replacing the hose every year. The wallboard court is still there, that's where I do my mixing. The garden is on a site where as a kid I played on a playground. I thought it was gone after all these years, had to be fifty-five years, just covered with good topsoil. (What do you like about the garden?) "It's like a mechanic that works on a car; when he finishes with it, he says 'I've accomplished something, I've done something, I've made it run.' When I go out there, I say, 'I made it grow,' you know? And I enjoy it; to see it go from small to large." (Having garden so close to work?) It's convenient to have it outside of where I work. You can't just put a garden anywhere unless it's halfway protected. There are a lot of lots in this city that could be used for gardens if city used money this way. There is a separation between work, garden and motorcycle club even though they're in the same area; at the club its club business and that's it. At the garden it's garden business and that's it. And when I leave the job, I know the job's secure, but I don't think about it. I put it in the back of my mind to remember it and I do what I gotta do.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-SL-A017
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jones, Leonard, and Susan Levitas. "When I go out there, I say, 'I made it grow,' you know? And I enjoy it, to see it go from small to large.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003646/.
APA citation style:
Jones, L. & Levitas, S. (1994) "When I go out there, I say, 'I made it grow,' you know? And I enjoy it, to see it go from small to large.". -08-19. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003646/.
MLA citation style:
Jones, Leonard, and Susan Levitas. "When I go out there, I say, 'I made it grow,' you know? And I enjoy it, to see it go from small to large.". -08-19, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003646/>.