Audio Recording "It's very important to have American citizenship."
About this Item
- "It's very important to have American citizenship."
- Contributor Names
- Mantilla, Francisco "Arturo" (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Puerto Ricans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Family-run businesses
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Elsa's Fashions (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Francisco "Arturo" Mantilla, co-owner of Elsa's Fashions on 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: AM says he is very involved with community. Supported softball teams, one Spanish, one American, spent money to keep young people off the streets. Also supported many soccer teams, for the same reason. And 4 years ago, 1990, started a group with other Spanish people to help them become American citizens. AM got his green card after 5 years, then got his citizenship soon after, without delay. Some people live in this country for 25 years, and never have the right to vote, get a better education, they stay the same. So AM tries to convince people to apply for citizenship. Since 1990 AM has spent hours in his store, 10-7, Mon to Sat, there's a desk in the front of the store, and people can come in and begin the process. AM can take fingerprints, and he has been authorized to give the test for citizenship at his office in the store. In the past 3 years, AM has trained 2 or 3 thousand people to get their citizenship. People come not only from Paterson, but also from Passaic, Hackensack, Englewood, New York. Not only Spanish. He was surprised to find recently that at the Italian club people 65, 80 years old, 40 years in this country, are not citizens. So Italian people as well as Spanish people come to his place. A man from Garfield who was from Yugoslavia came to him recently, and he helped him too. AM is happy to do this. He gives back to the people what they gave to him, anything he can do for the people, not only Spanish people, anybody, he will help them.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A006
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mantilla, Francisco "Arturo", and Thomas D Carroll. "It's very important to have American citizenship.". -08-10, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003877/.
APA citation style:
Mantilla, F. ". & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "It's very important to have American citizenship.". -08-10. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003877/.
MLA citation style:
Mantilla, Francisco "Arturo", and Thomas D Carroll. "It's very important to have American citizenship.". -08-10, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003877/>.