Audio Recording "They want someone behind the counter who speaks Italian also."
About this Item
- "They want someone behind the counter who speaks Italian also."
- Contributor Names
- Venezia, Ralph (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Italian Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Stores & shops
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Sanremo Italian Imports (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Ralph Venezia, owner of Sanremo Italian Import Company.
- - Summary of audio segment: RV says his kids are bright, but he would have to teach them [the language as well as how to work with customers and run the shop]. Some businesses don't speak Italian, the parents are "behind" [the scene] running the business, and the Americanized children are up front, selling the product, dealing with customers. [RV laughs] But as an owner, it's best to have someone in front who just sells for you. Because people always ask you for a discount. RV never gave it, though sometimes he may throw in a cup of coffee on the house. These are the old fashioned people, they still ask for a discount. But the people who come today, younger people, know that they can get things cheaper here than they can in Italy. They come and buy blue jeans for half the price; shoes, etc. They think they're getting a bargain here, and they don't even blink. They come prepared with dollars, they visit the country, and they also shop.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A009
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Chicago citation style:
Venezia, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "They want someone behind the counter who speaks Italian also.". -08-11, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003900/.
APA citation style:
Venezia, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "They want someone behind the counter who speaks Italian also.". -08-11. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003900/.
MLA citation style:
Venezia, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "They want someone behind the counter who speaks Italian also.". -08-11, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003900/>.