Audio Recording "Younger generation, they'd rather go out; they don't cook at home."
About this Item
- "Younger generation, they'd rather go out; they don't cook at home."
- Contributor Names
- Ditaranto, Rocco (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Italian Americans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Neighborhood stores
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Ditaranto's Market (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Rocco Ditaranto, owner of Ditaranto's Market on 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: And people have changed, they used to eat a lot of greens, old people had a green almost everyday -- escarole, broccoli rabe [or rapini], broccoli, cauliflower -- the younger generation today, even on holidays would rather go out to eat. First of all, they don't know to cook, second they cook when they want to. Families get too big, they split up. And try to get together, but some just won't bother, and that applies to every kind of ethnic group. People now don't know what to do with the old products. And everybody works. The old timers, the husband went to work, and the wife shopped, cooked, etc. Bought fresh greens everyday, didn't believe in refrigerators. But not anymore. And it's a shame, because it created a certain kind of atmosphere, a magic scenery, different. And that's gone, it's like it was a dream.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A012
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Chicago citation style:
Ditaranto, Rocco, and Thomas D Carroll. "Younger generation, they'd rather go out; they don't cook at home.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003911/.
APA citation style:
Ditaranto, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "Younger generation, they'd rather go out; they don't cook at home.". -08-17. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003911/.
MLA citation style:
Ditaranto, Rocco, and Thomas D Carroll. "Younger generation, they'd rather go out; they don't cook at home.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003911/>.