Audio Recording "They'll buy basically anything if the price is right."
About this Item
- "They'll buy basically anything if the price is right."
- Contributor Names
- Landi, Vincent (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Clothing industry
- - Stores & shops
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Garden State Cutting Company (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Vincent Landi, owner of Garden State Cutting Co. on Gray Street at 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC asks about the retail store in front, Madison Ave. Apparel Outlet. VL says that started because at one time they were getting a lot of returns from stores, were overcutting, there were damaged goods, etc. and they needed a way to get rid of returns. They were right across the street from one of the busiest delicatessens in Paterson (Giannella's), so felt the location was good, being on a very busy avenue -- 21st Avenue -- and felt could sell retail there for the same price they sold to wholesalers. So put overcuts on the rack, and made a nice profit. People will buy basically anything if the price is right [so can sell damaged goods there too]. Get quite a bit of traffic in there. People love outlet stores, love a decrease in price in this area. People in this area are fairly poor, and that's how they need to shop. And it's been working out well. A lot of the trade is local -- Paterson. Occasionally they get a flyer out to surrounding towns, but most customers are local.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A013
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Landi, Vincent, and Thomas D Carroll. "They'll buy basically anything if the price is right.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003922/.
APA citation style:
Landi, V. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "They'll buy basically anything if the price is right.". -08-17. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003922/.
MLA citation style:
Landi, Vincent, and Thomas D Carroll. "They'll buy basically anything if the price is right.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003922/>.