Audio Recording "I like the control I have being in my own business."
About this Item
- "I like the control I have being in my own business."
- Contributor Names
- Landi, Vincent (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Clothing industry
- - Family-run businesses
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Garden State Cutting Company (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Vincent Landi, owner of Garden State Cutting Co. on Gray Street at 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC asks why VL is in the business, what's in it for him beyond the fact that his father got him in it. VL says it's basically all he knows. And it's his own business, he really wouldn't want to work for anyone else. Though he works 60 and 70 hour weeks, it's his. He controls it, if he wants a profit he takes a profit, if he wants a day off he takes it. He doesn't answer to anyone. It's the desire to be in his own business. Would I do this working for someone? They'd have to pay me a lot of money. Probably would not. And VL and his wife have worked up to a nice life style, live in a great community, etc. And VL's overhead is high, but this business covers it. To start fresh in another business would be very difficult and risky. If VL goes under here it's his fault, if he works for a large company and they go under it's not, but VL likes the control he has being in his business. But it's rough, he'd like to get out and get a nice suit and tie job and work 40 hours, meet nice people, go out to dinner, travel, but it's not in the cards at the moment. Business is good, he built it, it's bigger now than it ever was, so why bail out at this point?
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A013
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Landi, Vincent, and Thomas D Carroll. "I like the control I have being in my own business.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003923/.
APA citation style:
Landi, V. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "I like the control I have being in my own business.". -08-17. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003923/.
MLA citation style:
Landi, Vincent, and Thomas D Carroll. "I like the control I have being in my own business.". -08-17, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003923/>.