Audio Recording "Dominican people are good people, very dedicated; we can do everything or anything that you want."
About this Item
- "Dominican people are good people, very dedicated; we can do everything or anything that you want."
- Contributor Names
- Cueto, Milagros "Millie" (Narrator)
- Goicoechea, Aurora (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Emigration and Immigration
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Dressmaking
- - Dominican Americans
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Elsa's Fashions (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Milagros Cueto and Aurora Goicoeche. Milagros provided translation for Aurora. Both women work for Elsa Mantilla, making dresses on the third floor of her shop on 21st Avenue.
- - Summary of audio segment: MC says Dominicans are dedicated to living in the right way, but when they come to this country, it's a different country, and come with different ideas and people find here that language and customs are different, and it's confusing. But Dominicans are nice people, they have good minds and are able to work at everything and learn everything. Dominicans don't just make dresses or bake, they are intelligent people. Work hard, and are dedicated to their families. MC says she and AG are two people who never went to high school, and can make a good job. There are a lot of people like them, they only need the opportunity, and they can show that they are people who can do everything. Dominican people are good people, very, very dedicated, and can do anything wanted, they only have to see.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A014
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cueto, Milagros "Millie", Aurora Goicoechea, and Thomas D Carroll. "Dominican people are good people, very dedicated; we can do everything or anything that you want.". -09-01, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003937/.
APA citation style:
Cueto, M. "., Goicoechea, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "Dominican people are good people, very dedicated; we can do everything or anything that you want.". -09-01. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003937/.
MLA citation style:
Cueto, Milagros "Millie", Aurora Goicoechea, and Thomas D Carroll. "Dominican people are good people, very dedicated; we can do everything or anything that you want.". -09-01, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003937/>.