Audio Recording "I became a lawyer, began to practice in January 1975."
About this Item
- "I became a lawyer, began to practice in January 1975."
- Contributor Names
- Carrera, Miguel de la (Narrator)
- Carrera, Antonio de la (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Cuban Americans
- - Lawyers
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Antonio de la Carrera and Miguel de la Carrera.
- - Summary of audio segment: AC became an interpreter in the court house in Paterson so he could study for the bar examination, worked there for 1 year and 4 or 5 months. A year after he started the job he took and passed the bar exam. He began to practice as an attorney in January 1975. Worked for another lawyer for almost 3 years, then opened his own office on Main Street for another 3 years, then moved here, to 998 Madison Avenue [at the corner of 21st Avenue]. AC practiced by himself for many years, then his son graduated and spent 3 years working for Legal Aid in Newark, then joined his father at his firm. That was 1985.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A015
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Carrera, Miguel De La, Antonio De La Carrera, and Thomas D Carroll. "I became a lawyer, began to practice in January .". -09-03, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003940/.
APA citation style:
Carrera, M. D. L., Carrera, A. D. L. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "I became a lawyer, began to practice in January .". -09-03. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003940/.
MLA citation style:
Carrera, Miguel De La, Antonio De La Carrera, and Thomas D Carroll. "I became a lawyer, began to practice in January .". -09-03, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003940/>.