Audio Recording "Holidays, in particular, were always busy."
About this Item
- "Holidays, in particular, were always busy."
- Contributor Names
- Schagen, Mina (Narrator)
- Schagen, Albert W. (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Hours of labor
- - Family-run businesses
- - Stores & shops
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Schagen's Shoe Store (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Albert W. Schagen, owner of Schagen's Shoe Store on 21st Avenue, and his wife, Mina Schagen.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC asks whether the store captured some of AS's and his sister's time when they were kids, and freed their mother from total responsibility for them as a result. MS says the store affected theirholidays, she was very much into holidays. AS was absorbed in the store, and didn't want to be involved. Had to deal with holidays at the store, and didn't want to bring it home with him, so the business affected their celebration at home of the holidays, which was something was important to MS. MS says had only one day to go shopping together, and it was especially hard on his wife because she very much liked decorating and celebrating the holidays. AS says he had so much of the holiday season at the store that when he came home he didn't want anything to do with it. MS said that never bothered her, she enjoyed her kids, enjoyed her home. AS verifies this, saying his wife was very patient and endured the fact that the store came first. AS says that looking back it was stupid to give so much weight to the business, but that's what they did.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A021
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Schagen, Mina, Albert W Schagen, and Thomas D Carroll. "Holidays, in particular, were always busy.". -09-07, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003967/.
APA citation style:
Schagen, M., Schagen, A. W. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "Holidays, in particular, were always busy.". -09-07. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003967/.
MLA citation style:
Schagen, Mina, Albert W Schagen, and Thomas D Carroll. "Holidays, in particular, were always busy.". -09-07, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003967/>.