Audio Recording "If you are going to be an attorney, you're going to have obstacles, you're going to fight them; I've fought them all my life."
About this Item
- "If you are going to be an attorney, you're going to have obstacles, you're going to fight them; I've fought them all my life."
- Contributor Names
- Meza, Beatriz (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Lawyers
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Beatriz Meza, an attorney.
- - Summary of audio segment: Did BM anticipate any barriers in the legal world itself? BM says yes, it was even hard in law school There were subtle differences in the way male professors treated female and male students. And maybe that's why BM always went to work for a female attorney, to be around other professional women. BM worked briefly for a male attorney when Ms. Riga left the practice for a while, and the male lawyer asked her to type a document when there were secretaries working for the firm who could do that. BM expected more respect from him, even though she wasn't an attorney at the time. But she knew she would face that sort of thing again somewhere along the line. When she was a law student working as a legal intern, she wasn't treated the same as some of the other legal interns who were male. But once in law school, and despite the reactions of some professors, they can't stop you at that point. You're gonna become an attorney, you're gonna have obstacles, and fight them. BM fought them all her life, so it was just one more obstacle to overcome. She knew there would always be obstacles, not just because she is Latina, but because she is a woman.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A022
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Meza, Beatriz, and Thomas D Carroll. "If you are going to be an attorney, you're going to have obstacles, you're going to fight them; I've fought them all my life.". -09-12, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003976/.
APA citation style:
Meza, B. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "If you are going to be an attorney, you're going to have obstacles, you're going to fight them; I've fought them all my life.". -09-12. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003976/.
MLA citation style:
Meza, Beatriz, and Thomas D Carroll. "If you are going to be an attorney, you're going to have obstacles, you're going to fight them; I've fought them all my life.". -09-12, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003976/>.