Audio Recording "He came by himself first, then he sent for us."
About this Item
- "He came by himself first, then he sent for us."
- Contributor Names
- Soria, Ralph (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Emigration and Immigration
- - Puerto Ricans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Family-run businesses
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Soria Real Estate Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Ralph Soria, owner of Soria Real Estate Agency on Oliver Street.
- - Summary of audio segment: Father came without mother at first, then sent for his family about 2 years later. He worked his way up at the diner, became a cook's assistant. Then got a job in the garment factories, proved himself, and became an under-presser, then a top-presser. then he started going to school at night,and from there opened a little business in 1962 -- a little toy store, grocery store. From there still went to school, and got his real estate license. Started working in immigration first, immigration matters, then got into real estate. Opened his own business, said he didn't want to work for anyoneelse. And RS saw that his father was doing well, and followed him into the business. RS joined the business in 1965, helping with immigration, real estate, etc. Got a salary from his father, gave RS a small desk next to him, and RS had his own practice within the office. There were two desks, next to each other, and RS and his father were very close, they always worked together. Father trained RS, everything he knows he learned from his father. His father in Florida now, retired, is 73 years old.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A023
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "He came by himself first, then he sent for us.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003983/.
APA citation style:
Soria, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "He came by himself first, then he sent for us.". -09-13. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003983/.
MLA citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "He came by himself first, then he sent for us.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003983/>.