Audio Recording "I always look to being ahead, I always like to be a leader."
About this Item
- "I always look to being ahead, I always like to be a leader."
- Contributor Names
- Soria, Ralph (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Puerto Ricans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Soria Real Estate Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Ralph Soria, owner of Soria Real Estate Agency on Oliver Street.
- - Summary of audio segment: RS always wanted to get ahead, be a leader. RS worked two jobs, trying to get ahead, and to help his family. And discrimination was bad too, couldn't get a decent a place. RS says his father is very white, and would get an apartment and when the landlord found out they were Puerto Rican, they wanted to throw them out. Thanks to a police officer, by the name of Genta, and the Genta family, they wanted to help them out. So rented an apartment to them, and Genta resisted neighbors who wanted them out of there because they were Puerto Rican. And people saw they were nice clean people, they stayed in the house and started making friends. Even then there was a lot of discrimination, they kept going. But it was bad, it was really hard. In the 1950s, you couldn't even move around because you either got a beating or had to run, had to fight all the time.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A023
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "I always look to being ahead, I always like to be a leader.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003984/.
APA citation style:
Soria, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "I always look to being ahead, I always like to be a leader.". -09-13. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003984/.
MLA citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "I always look to being ahead, I always like to be a leader.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003984/>.