Audio Recording "The salaries, the raises, haven't been there. That's the problem, and that's why the people are leaving."
About this Item
- "The salaries, the raises, haven't been there. That's the problem, and that's why the people are leaving."
- Contributor Names
- Soria, Ralph (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Puerto Ricans
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - Soria Real Estate Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Ralph Soria, owner of Soria Real Estate Agency on Oliver Street.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC mentions Frost King as a big employer of Puerto Ricans now, and RS says yes, they are, but mostly the work force is mixed, different ethnic Hispanics work there now. There are still a few places with a strong Puerto Rican work force, but not as many as before. Seally Mattress on River Street has many Spanish speaking workers. TC asks if there are places which have concentrations of one particular national group working there, industries? RS says there are different places. Costa Ricans are here now too, and most of them work in restaurants, as cooks. RS says that the Dominican people are the ones who have replaced the Puerto Ricans. They haven't taken the jobs away, but the Puerto Ricans have left, and the Dominicans were willing to work for less money sometimes. But the Puerto Ricans have left because the salaries, raises, haven't been there. That's the problem, and that's why the people are leaving. They're going mostly to Orlando, and Tampa and Miami. They move from Paterson to go there to find work.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A023
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "The salaries, the raises, haven't been there.That's the problem, and that's why the people are leaving.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003991/.
APA citation style:
Soria, R. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "The salaries, the raises, haven't been there.That's the problem, and that's why the people are leaving.". -09-13. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003991/.
MLA citation style:
Soria, Ralph, and Thomas D Carroll. "The salaries, the raises, haven't been there.That's the problem, and that's why the people are leaving.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003991/>.