Audio Recording "It's rough, but it's good; I've been here twenty years and have accomplished a lot of things."
About this Item
- "It's rough, but it's good; I've been here twenty years and have accomplished a lot of things."
- Contributor Names
- Castro, Americo (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Insurance agents
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Work processes
- - Historic district
- - Peruvian Americans
- - Castro Travel Agency (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Old Great Falls Historic district
- - Interview with Americo Castro, owner of Castro Travel Agency on Market Street.
- - Summary of audio segment: AC changes the location of the many, many times [en route] to his destination in Peru. He has been hijacked many times, carjacked. About five times the car has been stopped at a crossroads, and the money, car was taken in Peru. Now they divide the money into smaller quantities and carry it separately, so if they are held up in Peru they don't lose too much. AC was robbed at his Market Street twice, people came in with machine guns, told everyone to get down on the floor, because people know that he collects money at the agency. Right now AC has a lot of security, so they can't do that anymore. But before it was an open space, and it was easy for people to do that. The police can't do anything. AC has a license to carry a gun, has security, alarm system, etc. It's rough, but it's good, because he has been here 20 years in this country, and has accomplished a lot of things. His family is good, in a good position, in Peru. Family there works for AC's business, they make [money] like they would make in the US, and they have no problem. AC is really happy, is an American citizen since 1985. His parents are over here also, they live with AC's sister. Nine in his family, 3 men 6 girls. All are alive. Mother is 80 years old, father is 86, still alive and in good health. AC has no regrets or anything, everything is good for him.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A024
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Castro, Americo, and Thomas D Carroll. "It's rough, but it's good; I've been here twenty years and have accomplished a lot of things.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003998/.
APA citation style:
Castro, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "It's rough, but it's good; I've been here twenty years and have accomplished a lot of things.". -09-13. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip003998/.
MLA citation style:
Castro, Americo, and Thomas D Carroll. "It's rough, but it's good; I've been here twenty years and have accomplished a lot of things.". -09-13, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip003998/>.