Audio Recording "We grew up with machines, with trimmings, with buttons, with delivery dates, with garments all the way up."
About this Item
- "We grew up with machines, with trimmings, with buttons, with delivery dates, with garments all the way up."
- Contributor Names
- Contreras-Mas, Sylvia (Narrator)
- Curling, Amada (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Vocational education
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Clothing industry
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - V. B. F. Trim Company (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Amada Curling and Sylvia Contreras-Mas, co-owners of V.B.F., a garment cutting and sewing contractor business.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC asks how they got involved in this kind of business? AC went to FIT [Fashion Institute of Technology] in New York, and graduated with degree in management, engineering, and technology. And besides that, parents were contractors in Ecuador. Father is a tailor and mother is a seamstress. So they grew up with machines, with trimmings, with buttons, with delivery dates, with garments all the way up. We never wanted to get into it, because saw how hard their parents worked. But after AC graduated from college, got a full scholarship to FIT, parents didn't have to pay anything. And she thought she could take a load off their shoulders, it's the best way for her to go. They don't haveto spend the money. So AC went. After FIT, got job in garment industry as a manager, with a manufacturer. Through the job, placed Sylvia in a company that was doing cutting for her, and Sylvia became the manager of that company, and was there for 9 years. It later became theirs, they bought it from the owner. In 1986, the owner wanted to retire, so gave them the option to buy. Company was located in Soho, 149 Wooster Street.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A027
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "We grew up with machines, with trimmings, with buttons, with delivery dates, with garments all the way up.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip004020/.
APA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, S., Curling, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "We grew up with machines, with trimmings, with buttons, with delivery dates, with garments all the way up.". -09-15. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip004020/.
MLA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "We grew up with machines, with trimmings, with buttons, with delivery dates, with garments all the way up.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004020/>.