Audio Recording "If you give me a garment, I can tell you how to make it, how much it will cost."
About this Item
- "If you give me a garment, I can tell you how to make it, how much it will cost."
- Contributor Names
- Contreras-Mas, Sylvia (Narrator)
- Curling, Amada (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Clothing industry
- - Family-run businesses
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - V. B. F. Trim Company (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Amada Curling and Sylvia Contreras-Mas, co-owners of V.B.F., a garment cutting and sewing contractor business.
- - Summary of audio segment: AC says that what she does, is figure out how to make a garment, and cost the job. How to go about doing it, basically. The company on Wooster Street was one shop that AC did that for, among others. didn't make markers [patterns], but managed the production of the garment, ran the whole show. And Sylvia went there as a clerical worker. She'd just finished high school, wanted to take one year off. Had gone to Catholic high school, and was very strict, uniforms, etc. So wanted a year off before going to school again. So AC got her the job in the office. AC trained her, and SC-M picked it up so easily. And decided eventually that they could run their own business. And when the owner wanted to sell, they agreed to buy it. Lofts were getting so expensive in the Village, he wanted to get out. So they bought it. That was 1986.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A027
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "If you give me a garment, I can tell you how to make it, how much it will cost.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip004021/.
APA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, S., Curling, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "If you give me a garment, I can tell you how to make it, how much it will cost.". -09-15. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip004021/.
MLA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "If you give me a garment, I can tell you how to make it, how much it will cost.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004021/>.