Audio Recording "We started with the right people, and the right people will always come with us."
About this Item
- "We started with the right people, and the right people will always come with us."
- Contributor Names
- Contreras-Mas, Sylvia (Narrator)
- Curling, Amada (Narrator)
- Carroll, Thomas D. (Interviewer)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Oral history
- - Interviews
- - Sound recordings
- - Clothing industry
- - Family-run businesses
- - 21st Avenue (Paterson, N. J.)
- - V. B. F. Trim Company (Paterson, N.J.)
- - Ethnography
- - United States -- New Jersey -- Paterson
- - Interview with Amada Curling and Sylvia Contreras-Mas, co-owners of V.B.F., a garment cutting and sewing contractor business.
- - Summary of audio segment: TC asks about the Paterson labor pool. AC says they started with the right people, and the right people will always come with us. These people have been with them for 10 years, since they started the business. They talk sometimes, because it's getting tougher and tougher, and they can't just throw people out, like maybe other companies do. They get people off the street, and they train them, and pay them almost nothing. Their people are loyal, and have been with them all these years, and it's hard. It's more than just a job relationship. They were working with the company when they bough tit. The workers live in New York, in the Bronx and in New York. Some moved to New Jersey. And some come from Paterson, they're local. AC says the key people that she has, 5 people or so, have been with her from the beginning. Others are local, and AC trains them to do the work. But many people are moving out of Paterson, to Brooklyn, New York City, because they feel there's not enough jobs here. They feel that in the Garment Center in New York, they can stop in anywhere and get a job. They're also moving to West New York, and Union City, to find factories down there. And rents (for housing) are almost the same in those places as in Paterson. You'd think Paterson rents would be lower, but it's not so. So when people find a job elsewhere, they move close to their jobs. So rents are not cheap here, and Paterson has very bad living conditions. SC-M says she knows people who pay $600 [a month], and live in places where she wouldn't dream of living. Would rather pay a litter more and get a better place. AC says $600 is a base rent for a one bedroom apartmen there. SC-M says rent is very low in New York City now, very low. Some talk about apartments in New York, and rent levels. Projects v. condos, tremendous difference in rents.
- Digital Audio Tape
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1995/028: WIP-TDC-A027
- Source Collection
- Working in Paterson Project Collection (AFC 1995/028)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Working in Paterson Project collection, 1993-2002 (AFC 1995/028), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "We started with the right people, and the right people will always come with us.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip004023/.
APA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, S., Curling, A. & Carroll, T. D. (1994) "We started with the right people, and the right people will always come with us.". -09-15. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/afcwip004023/.
MLA citation style:
Contreras-Mas, Sylvia, Amada Curling, and Thomas D Carroll. "We started with the right people, and the right people will always come with us.". -09-15, 1994. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afcwip004023/>.