detail ( library employees only ) Specialist in Legislative Information Systems Management
- Opening Date: July 11, 2018
- Closing Date: July 20, 2018
- LC Organization Unit: Congressional Research Service
- LC Organization Unit - Specific Office: Office of Congressional Information and Publishing (CIP)
- Grade: GS-14
- Series: 1410
- Availability: Library Employees Only
- Duration: NTE 120 days
Notice of Flexible Detail Opportunity/Temporary Promotion
Service Unit/Division/Office: Congressional Research Service (CRS), Office of Congressional Information and Publishing (CIP)
Position: Specialist in Legislative Information Systems Management (GS-1410-14)
Duration: The position is open to Library employees currently serving in a permanent or indefinite position. Depending on the qualifications of the applicant(s) selected, this may be a temporary promotion, NTE 120 days or a detail with the possibility of an extension(s), not to exceed 1 year.
Tour of Duty: Full-time, eligible for flexitime, compflex, and telework.
Duties: Congress.gov is the official website for U.S. federal legislative information. The site provides access to accurate, timely, and complete legislative information for Members of Congress, legislative agencies, and the public. It is presented by the Library of Congress (LOC) using data from the Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives, the Office of the Secretary of the Senate, the Government Publishing Office, Congressional Budget Office, and the LOC's Congressional Research Service.
Under the supervision of the Acting Head, Legislative Information Systems Section, or delegate, the incumbent will: Use project management procedures, tools, templates, and processes to develop and implement strategic plans for Congress.gov. Implement new organizational strategies to provide direct support to CRS and congressional users of the LIS and Congress.gov, including expert troubleshooting, search assistance and training. Serve as a liaison for the organization. The candidate(s) selected for the position will: (1) design and implement a core part of the Congress.gov Findability program (e.g., Prepared Searches) in collaboration with the Congress.gov research community, (2) conduct complex legislative data analysis, (3) liaison with congressional and internal partners in a principle role to ensure common understandings in regards to Congress.gov and/or (4) participate in complex agile software development in collaboration with others.
Minimum Knowledge and Abilities Expected:
- Familiarity with the Congress.gov data collections, search functions and features for viewing legislation search results
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (in-person, phone, and e-mail)
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion
- Be versatile and innovative in adapting methods and new techniques
- Ability to provide project and administrative processes and techniques, including working with multiple offices to schedule meetings, track assignments, and develop project or task support materials, etc.
- Strong attention to detail
- Solid computer skills, including: skills needed to work with databases, spreadsheets, and web applications in a network environment
Candidates with a Master of Library Science (MLS) or equivalent degree are encouraged to apply.
Application Procedures: To be eligible for a temporary promotion, applicants must meet the qualification standards for the higher graded position (for questions, please contact Tatiana Callender at 7-1239 or [email protected]). If you are interested in being considered, please submit an e-mail to Marv Goldstein [email protected] by close of business on Friday, July 20, 2018, that includes your expression of interest and a copy of your resume.
Interviews may be held.