Audio Recording You Must Be Born Again
About this Item
- You Must Be Born Again
- Contributor Names
- Lomax, John A. (John Avery), 1867-1948 (Collector)
- Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill) (Collector)
- Howard, Willie (Performer)
- Perkins, Paul (Performer)
- Richardson, James (Performer)
- Reid, Allen (Performer)
- Johnson, Dawson (Performer)
- Brown, John (Performer)
- Thomas, Lonnie (Performer)
- Created / Published
- Raiford, Florida, June 4, 1939
- Work songs
- - Location also known as Florida State Prison; Raiford Penitentiary
- - Performer referred to elsewhere as Willie Ford
- - Venue: State Farm
- - Performer referred to elsewhere as Allen Reed
- - Performance Note: "You Must Be Born Again" performed by James Richardson, Allen Reid, Lonnie Thomas, Willie Howard, Dawson Johnson, Paul Perkins and John Brown (vocals) at State Farm, Raiford, Florida, on June 4, 1939.
- sound disc : analog, 78 rpm ; 12 in.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1939/001: AFS 02712a01
- Source Collection
- John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip (AFC 1939/001)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- Brown, John
- Howard, Willie
- Johnson, Dawson
- Lomax, John A. (John Avery)
- Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill)
- Perkins, Paul
- Reid, Allen
- Richardson, James
- Thomas, Lonnie
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
A small subset the sound recordings in this collection are not included in this online presentation because there is a strong possibility that there may be underlying rights in musical lyrics or compositions. Researchers with an interest or need to review the entire body of material are encouraged to contact the American Folklife Center: Those song titles not included are:
- Bull-Cow Blues
- Don't You Leave Me Here
- Everybody's Down on Me
- Little Log Cabin
- Springtime in the Rockies
John and Ruby Lomax 1939 southern states recording trip (AFC 1939/001), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lomax, John A, Ruby T Lomax, Willie Howard, Paul Perkins, James Richardson, Allen Reid, Dawson Johnson, John Brown, and Lonnie Thomas. You Must Be Born Again. Raiford, Florida, June 4, 1939. Audio. https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/lomaxbib000506/.
APA citation style:
Lomax, J. A., Lomax, R. T., Howard, W., Perkins, P., Richardson, J., Reid, A. [...] Thomas, L. (1939) You Must Be Born Again. Raiford, Florida, June 4. [Audio] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://0-www.loc.gov.oasys.lib.oxy.edu/item/lomaxbib000506/.
MLA citation style:
Lomax, John A, et al. You Must Be Born Again. Raiford, Florida, June 4, 1939. Audio. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/lomaxbib000506/>.